Quality woes with Sony Vegas Movie Studio

grahamlthompson

In memoriam

That's weird, never noticed that (upper field first should be correct) :confused:

Going to repeat to see if the output file from Movie Studio is still reversed. By all accounts the footage should be worse than the OP's.

EDIT

Standard DVD PAL widescreen render template is lower field first (weird), source footage and DVD PAL render template should be upper. I normally use Magix Edit Pro for editing.

Outputting as Upper and Progressive for comparison, included outdoor daylight and night clips this time.

Links later.

Last edited:

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Last edited:

vkmast

To add to all of this,
from Vegas Pro (and Movie Studio) online Help
Field order
Determines field order of the frames when drawn on the screen. Consult your capture/video output card's documentation for the proper field order for your specific device.
None (progressive scan): Select this option when viewing the video on a computer. This option ignores interlacing.
Upper field first: Select this option (also called odd or field A) for video that will be viewed on a television.
Lower field first: Select this option (also called even or field B) for DV output or if Upper field first produces jittery or shaky output.

Some interesting opinions and findings on interlacing and Vegas here
Interlacing artifacts or whatever they're called at DVinfo.net

rogs

Some interesting opinions and findings on interlacing and Vegas here
Interlacing artifacts or whatever they're called at DVinfo.net

Fascinating thread. Certainly looks as if Vegas can have problems with re-sizing and de-interlacing, under certain conditions.
I thought posts #22 and #23 gave a pretty good description of what's happening.

It certainly helps to explain why the OP here is having problems, even though other folk don't seem to be.....

rogs

Graham, they both look pretty good using WMP from my i5 with Intel 3000 graphics. Some small interfacing artifacts -- the mesh on the steps at the start, and the (almost) horizontal lines of the luggage racks, inside the carriage show it is interlaced, but nothing to make a fuss about -- and probably totally invisible with TV playback!...

Does seem as if the OP may have a problem along the lines outlined in the thread that vkmast linked to above.....

arty tribe

RESULT (Of sorts!)

Taken vkmast's suggestion to trawl Sony Forums, and found this workaround.

In Movie Studio, go to 'Edit' - 'Switches' - disable 'Resampling' and enable 'Reduce interlace flicker'

Unless the event is selected these options are greyed out. I had a job to 'Select all'. this wouldn't work through edit but only if done 'Manually' for some reason.

The quality is not brilliant, but is acceptable after what I've been through. I have only applied it to my test footage so I'm not shouting too loud at the moment but I think we have a winner.

The only issue is I can't remember what I used to 'Render as'. The pre-set changed because I had to render the sound.

In theory there are only a few options to try, but hang around guys we might not be finished travelling together yet!

I can't keep saying how much I valued your input, but I felt like giving up once or twice. Some one said it would all seem like a bad dream, lets hope I've woken up

rogs

did you get the chance to have a look at the thread vkmast linked to at the bottom of post#55?.....

The posts #22 and #23 of that thread give a pretty good description of your problem... and a way to get round it. Well worth a look.. could be the answer?......

arty tribe

did you get the chance to have a look at the thread vkmast linked to at the bottom of post#55?.....

The posts #22 and #23 of that thread give a pretty good description of your problem... and a way to get round it. Well worth a look.. could be the answer?......

Yes I did read the link thanks. Found it a little above me. Couldn't work out the method in post #10 and what is HDLink and how do you use it.

I liked the shortened version - Two steps on page 2 I think.

What I liked most was the knowledge that its not just me. Nice to know we all suffer together!

The latest video from AVForums

Prey + Bullet Train reviews, Heat 4K + Event Horizon 4K and all the latest movies and TV news
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom