Quality woes with Sony Vegas Movie Studio

arty tribe

I've been struggling with a quality issue on my finished dvd's. In short there is a lot of noise in the picture and any straight lines are splintered. I was blaming my camera, (Pana SD90) but I have sampled footagefrom the camera and its fine. Conclusion – it's the editing software - Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum

I've been trawling the net looking for solutions (nightmare)and have pressed so many buttons I'm not sure where I am, ‘Match Media' ‘RenderingProperties' ‘Project properties' nothing seems to work

I think it may be a rendering problem, because when it comes to render I am only given a choice of a few 720x settings. There are no higher quality options. Or could it be that the software has downgraded it and this is all that is available

I have been burning direct to dvd rather than go through ‘Architect'to save time.

Help

Last edited:

StevieBuck

Video must be a certain resolution for it to be DVD-video compliant. The maximum allowable resolution of 720x576 for PAL and 720x480 for NTSC is typically what you will see being used. If you select DVD-video output, the Vegas software disables all the non-standard resolutions so you don’t choose a non-compliant format by mistake.

The “splintered” look you describe may be from the video interlacing:

Interlaced video - Wikipedia

Is that what you are seeing?

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Could be the result of an incorrect field order. (field dominance).

PAL should be upper field first, NTSC lower field first.

rogs

I think it may be a rendering problem, because when it comes to render I am only given a choice of a few 720x settings. There are no higher quality options. Or could it be that the software has downgraded it and this is all that is available

All PAL DVDs use 720x576.. but you can't compare your final DVD output with the original camcorder footage... by down converting your 'HD' AVCHD footage to standard 'SD' footage, for burning onto a standard DVD, you are bound to take a big hit on quality....

12harry

Distinguished Member
Hi Welcome.

Are you in the UK?
Can you say what version software you are using?
e.g. v10 was OK for 1920x1080i (using PAL), but not 1080p
What standard is your camera set to? (click on any clip+ properties in Movie Studio)
Match media settings is usually OK -
- and are you playing the finished DVD on a DVD/TV combo . . . using the PC is sometimes not the best thing to do.

vkmast

Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10, 11 and Movie Studio Platinum 12 all have the same PAL DVD video format options referred to above, when burning dvds from the timeline.
You need to use the Render As... option to customise the (mpeg-2 DVD Architect PAL) templates and author in DVD Architect Studio. Burn the prepared project using DVD A or other burning software.

Last edited:

arty tribe

Hi Guys

Steviebuck

Yes 'interlaced video' seems to be the problem - on every straight line not just where they are ingroups

Rogs
I would expect a quality hit, but the result should be watchable, you guys seem to manage it. Even my brotherinlaw produces watchable videos, and he knows nothing!

12harry
Yes I am in the UK
I can't see the version of the software, but it does say 'Production Suite if that helps
I filmed the latest in HA made
I am playing it back on an HD TV with a dvd machine.

Thanks for your input, this should have been the easy bit. I learned all about the camera, I learned how to do the editing, now all I want to do is burn it to DVD and watch it. Where am I going wrong?

Regards
mad.gif

arty tribe

You need to use the Render As... option to customise templates and author in DVD Architect Studio. Burn the prepared project using DVD A or other burning software.

Can you expand on that? Concidering I'm new to this. I don't want to be a pain, but can you suggest some settings for 'customise templates,' and how do I burn using DVD A.

Sounds so lame I'm almost too embarrassed to ask!

12harry

Distinguished Member
When I started Editinig (not that long ago, and it shows!), I will agree it was a nightmare with so many different "Templates" - you can remove all those that are NTSC, since in the UK we use PAL - and yr camera should too.

It is strange that a serious producer of software doesn't think to make life easier - by giving us the option of a wizzard - this could (for example) look at the media you want to use and you can confirm it is what they say. . . then it can give a "best-option" list, possibly in Order starting with Best-Fit.

Leaving newbees with a lengthy list of options really isn't doing it very well (Software writers please note).

Prog details are on the splash screen as vkmast says, it's very small white on pale blue - so difficult to read . . you wonder why they do this, since you probably have a 19" screen . . . why not use it?

BTW I have the same beef with the Show Me Hows - a brilliant idea but spoiled IMHO by being difficult to read and therefore to follow....

However, keep with it - once sorted it will seem like a bad dream.
Start each different setting with a Title, so you know which setting was used . . . you can overlay the title on part of the opening footage. By trying maybe five Templates, you should soon find one that's obviously suited better.

It's good to use a dedicated DVD/TV combo.....however, I have found some DVD can "stutter" on a DVD player, yet play cleanly on a 3D-BlueRay player - I presume the internal chips are improved at error correction . . . dunno.

Beware that yr footage is stable and try to avoid fast pans . . . these can cause difficulty . . . and at this stage you want the best setting, pure and simple.

FWIW. - I Render to another HDD in the PC, then use these to compile a DVD (using DVD Architect Studio) - well worth joining the Forums at SOny Creative, so you can read about "issues" with the different Build Numbers.
The sang is that the Renders are HD, so they require a secoind Rendere to create the lower-spec DVDs.

Good luck...

Last edited:

vkmast

...a nightmare with so many different "Templates" - you can remove all those that are NTSC, since in the UK we use PAL - and yr camera should too.
It is strange that a serious producer of software doesn't think to make life easier - by giving us the option of a wizzard - this could (for example) look at the media you want to use and you can confirm it is what they say. . . then it can give a "best-option" list, possibly in Order starting with Best-Fit.
Leaving newbees with a lengthy list of options really isn't doing it very well (Software writers please note).
Online Help (F1) is an underrated and underused feature. Look up these in online Help Index.
Make Movie wizard
Match media settings
Match project settings
Prog details are on the splash screen as vkmast says, it's very small white on pale blue - so difficult to read . . you wonder why they do this, since you probably have a 19" screen . . . why not use it?
I didn't say anything about the splash screen. Besides, it just flashes anyway.
Your software version number is in Help / About (F1). It should be in the main window heading as well.
BTW I have the same beef with the Show Me Hows - a brilliant idea but spoiled IMHO by being difficult to read and therefore to follow....
The fonts/sizes there are consistent with the other parts of the interface. Windows 7 has a magnifier.:)
The sang is that the Renders are HD, so they require a secoind Rendere to create the lower-spec DVDs.
Render using appropriate DVD Architect templates in Movie Studio Platinum.
https://www.custcenter.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/84/ and the previous custcenter link.
keep with it
I agree.

arty tribe

Thanks for all your support, its nice to have someone to help when you're feeling like throwing in the towel.

I have found a partial solution, the problem was interlacing (Thanks rogs - much better when you know what its called) and I changed a setting in project properties 'Interlacing Properties' to 'Interpolate Fields'. The interlacing has gone if I burn direct to dvd, but returns if I use Architect!

Before you get too excited when I burn direct to dvd although the interlacing has gone, the footage has become very jerky. It shows up when there is a pan or any linear movement, as in vehicles on the road proceed in a series of jerks.

One step forward, and half a step back, but moving in the right direction.

There was a thread on here about jerky pans a while ago but I cant remember the title heading.

Anyone know what this issue is?

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Thanks for all your support, its nice to have someone to help when you're feeling like throwing in the towel.

I have found a partial solution, the problem was interlacing (Thanks rogs - much better when you know what its called) and I changed a setting in project properties 'Interlacing Properties' to 'Interpolate Fields'. The interlacing has gone if I burn direct to dvd, but returns if I use Architect!

Before you get too excited when I burn direct to dvd although the interlacing has gone, the footage has become very jerky. It shows up when there is a pan or any linear movement, as in vehicles on the road proceed in a series of jerks.

One step forward, and half a step back, but moving in the right direction.

There was a thread on here about jerky pans a while ago but I cant remember the title heading.

Anyone know what this issue is?

I still think your original issue was reversed field dominance.

Download a copy of median-info

MediaInfo - Download

Open an original camcorder clip, a file using your original render settings and the interpolated one you are now using.

Select tree view and export the data to a text file for all 3. Post the text so that the actual content can be identified.

Alternatively import an original clip to Movie Studio, right click on the clip in the media bin and choose properties. What does attributes, frame rate and field order say. Load the problem output file and repeat.

Last edited:

arty tribe

grahamlthompson
I love the casual way you write that, as if you are talking to someone who knows what they are doing!! I'll have a go, don't hold your breath.

I was hoping for more of a 'Change setting B and all your troubles will be over' type thing.

Sorry for being frustrating, I know what it is like when I try to teach my wife anything on the computer - you think I'm bad!!

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
grahamlthompson
I love the casual way you write that, as if you are talking to someone who knows what they are doing!! I'll have a go, don't hold your breath.

I was hoping for more of a 'Change setting B and all your troubles will be over' type thing.

Sorry for being frustrating, I know what it is like when I try to teach my wife anything on the computer - you think I'm bad!!

Need to know where you are starting from :D, without knowing that it's impossible to give definitive answers.

Is your camcorder UK sourced ?

arty tribe

Need to know where you are starting from :D, without knowing that it's impossible to give definitive answers.

Is your camcorder UK sourced ?

I feel quite proud

Attributes - 1920x1080x12 00 00 04:19
Frame Rate 25000 (Pal)
Field Order - Upper Field First

My camera is Amazon uk sourced

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
I feel quite proud

Attributes - 1920x1080x12 00 00 04:19
Frame Rate 25000 (Pal)
Field Order - Upper Field First

My camera is Amazon uk sourced

Right standard PAL UK full HD interlaced footage, have you got a Blu-ray player (or a PS3) ? How long is your edited footage ?

arty tribe

Hi Welcome.

Are you in the UK?
Can you say what version software you are using?
e.g. v10 was OK for 1920x1080i (using PAL), but not 1080p
What standard is your camera set to? (click on any clip+ properties in Movie Studio)
Match media settings is usually OK -
- and are you playing the finished DVD on a DVD/TV combo . . . using the PC is sometimes not the best thing to do.

And finally - version No = 11 (Build256)

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
And finally - version No = 11 (Build256)

Build 295 is the latest, you should update but very doubtfull if this is relevant. Uploading a clip to a File Share site back shortly.

Firstly did you connect your camcorder to a HD TV by hdmi or component cables to view the footage from your camera ? If so you were watching Full-HD pictures, downscaling to 720 x 576 for DVD is never going to look anywhere near as good.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Opened Movie Studio, loaded a few clips to the timeline (same format as you).

File Render As

Chose Main Concept MPEG-2 Programme Stream PAL Widescreen. Chose a Folder to write the .mpg file to.

This file can be downloaded from here.

https://www.adrive.com/public/wWm2s4/RailMuseum.mpg

Open DVD Architect

File New

Settings Single Movie DVD mpeg2 720 x 576 50i 16:9 PAL ac3-stereo OK

Bottom left click on explore tab and locate the file you downloaded. Drag this into the big window in the middle that says menu 1.

Double check

Click on File - Properties

Disc Format DVD Target 4.70GB Resolution 720 x 576 (PAL)

Alter anything wrong and then click on OK

load a blank DVD.

Click on Make DVD button and then burn.

Is the DVD the same as yours or better ?

arty tribe

Opened Movie Studio, loaded a few clips to the timeline (same format as you).

File Render As

Chose Main Concept MPEG-2 Programme Stream PAL Widescreen. Chose a Folder to write the .mpg file to.

This file can be downloaded from here.

https://www.adrive.com/public/wWm2s4/RailMuseum.mpg

Open DVD Architect

File New

Settings Single Movie DVD mpeg2 720 x 576 50i 16:9 PAL ac3-stereo OK

Bottom left click on explore tab and locate the file you downloaded. Drag this into the big window in the middle that says menu 1.

Double check

Click on File - Properties

Disc Format DVD Target 4.70GB Resolution 720 x 576 (PAL)

Alter anything wrong and then click on OK

load a blank DVD.

Click on Make DVD button and then burn.

Is the DVD the same as yours or better ?

Thanks for that, busy day today, will get to it ASAP.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Disney+ confirms price increases coming in December
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Samsung unveils Galaxy Z Flip 4 and Fold 4 smartphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 8th August 2022
  • By Casimir Harlow