Quality Shoot Out!! DMR-e55 or DVR-220?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by fusioncold, Oct 14, 2004.

1. fusioncold

fusioncold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd really appreciate your comments on the relative quality between recordings made onto dvd-r on the Panasonic e55 and the Pioneer 220. :)

Are they essentially about the same?
    Does one drop off in quality against the other after longer recording times? (I expect to keep recordings under 2hrs per dvd, but wonder how they compare for, say 3hrs).

I intend to copy from my sky+ hdd directly to dvd-r and then, if the recording warrants it, I would edit out ads etc. on my pc using TMPGEnc or Womble.

btw, I know that it makes sense to have a hdd recorder but I absolutely cannot afford one. :mad: Also, I'm not interested in component out/prog scan. I just want the best quality recordings from source to dvd.

Cheers guys.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    does Pio have RGB in?

3. fusioncold

fusioncold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think both have RGB in and out

Panny has component out too, but it's no use to me :rolleyes:

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    The Panasonic is the better machine by quite some margin: better MPEG encoder, better build and more outputs. Only opt for the Pioneer if you need DVD-RW support.

Which ever machine you get you would be better off using VR mode (on DVD-RAM on the Panny or DVD-RW VR mode on the Pioneer) and edit on your set-top. Then import into TMPG Enc Author in accordance with the PC GUIDE thread.

5. fusioncold

fusioncold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak, Thanks for the comment on the quality. I don't have a DVD-RAM capable drive on my pc, and would rather not buy one as I recently bought my pc dvd recorder.

but..

as I'm intending to edit out ads on my pc anyway, I assume that I can still buy the Panasonic (with it's superior recording quality) and just use dvd-r's(the disadvantage is that ALL editing will have to be done on my pc AND I waste a dvd-r each time). I can live with that as I only expect to be editing ads out on 'important' recordings.

By the way, are TMPGEnc Mpeg editor / Womble etc. really that much worse than editing using VR on the set-top? It seems that you can do frame accurate cuts with this software - something that doesn't seem that reliable on the set-top due to mpeg 2 limitations. The impression I get from various posts is that people completely avoid simple pc editing. Is it just because of the convenience of cutting on the set-top?

Any thoughts?

6. fusioncold

fusioncold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suppose this is the wrong forum for advice/comments on TMPGEnc and Womble...

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    Not really - but editting on a set-top tends to be easier without the problems associated with video editting via Windows (i.e processor limitations, lack of memory etc etc). Also VR mode was designed specifically to allow frame accurate edits in a file format (MPEG2) that doesn't natively support it whereas Womble (etc) re-encode around the cut. Not a big issue - but one anyway.

Note that you can pick up a DVD-RAM compatible DVD-ROM drive for around £15 - so don't let put you off the Panny.

8. fusioncold

fusioncold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Rasczak.

I think my decision is made!