1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quality SCART leads

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Spangle2k5, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Spangle2k5

Spangle2k5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I have a Sharp LC26GA5E 26" LCD TV and a sony VTX-D800U Freeview Decoder.

Currently they are connected by RGB SCART along a £9.99 Hitachi SCART cable purchased from Argos a couple of weeks ago.

The reason why I am putting this post is because when I look (not particularly closely) at the picture on the TV, there is a sort of speckled effect. I would put this down to the quality of the signal being received, but when I bring up a menu on the Freeview box and look at the solid background colour, it too has the speckling effect.

Is this common with RGB SCART, or should I be expecting a rock solid colour and no speckling?

I am not put off by spending anything up to £40 on a new SCART cable, but obviously do not wish to do this unless I have some confidence that it will solve the problem.

The screen is set up perfectly, no excessive sharpness or brightness etc and DVDs do not exhibit this problem over YUV SCART (admitedly I have not tried using RGB SCART).

Nobody else seems to be fussed by this as the issue is only quite minor, but it is niggling at me...

Any comments appreciated :)

2. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    I've not known a *cheap* scart to give dramatically different results from one costing say 4x as much as you mention. It's possible I guess, being an artefact of LCD as they do suffer from this a little.

I don't really know the answer and doubt the scart cable is to blame. Try the Sony in S-video mode and see what you get.

It's possible that the Sony is not giving as sharp an output as it should (recently had surprising trouble with mine). To cure this reset the box a couple of times and then see what the pic is like.

3. Spangle2k5

Spangle2k5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Thank you for your comments per-Sony-fied.

I gave S-Video a try and sure enough the problem vanished, but that introduced other unpleasant visual artefacts such as the BBC logo no longer having such clearly defined edges and colours bleeding.

I tried my Sony DVD player over RGB on a really cheap and nasty cable that came with it and also saw speckling, but it was worse than Freeview.

I have found that by dropping the sharpness of the TV from where I did have it (-2) to -6 reduces the speckling to the point that it is no longer visible and still leaves a very sharp picture.

I would appreciate hearing anybody elses comments on this!

4. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    The sharpness control on most TV's do little other than add (white) noise to the edges of objects which in turn gives an artificial sharpness effect. So really the sharpness should be turned down to a minimum as it does not add any real information.

The control should be turned down to a point where the picture looks sharp but not soft and blurred. Digital video essentials is good for setting this or if you can find one these days a broadcast test card (may mean very early hours viewing :)).

5. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you'll probably find it's on patches of colour such as faces, grass or water. if so it's the lcd not thinking it needs to process that part and freezing it as a solid colour!
    can't put it more technical than that. the sharpness is just taking away enough detail to hide the effect.
    All LCDs seem to do this, some worse than others.