1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

quality SACDs

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by GFS AV, Apr 18, 2005.

1. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone recommend any decent quality SACDs to try out on my new Sony 955?? In order my tastes are Dance (mainly house), R&B, Pop, Rock, Soul. Actually, pretty much anything really. I've just ordered Pink Floyd's DSOTM on SACD, which is meant to be great.

2. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I have pink floyd does sound great. I also have "every breath u take" by police both i got free when i bought my sony ns930. I dont think sacd will ever take off u just need thousand of pounds worth of equiptment to get any more benifet from the format then a normal cd.

3. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats interesting. I've read many posts where people have said they would never go back to normal CD.

4. steel_kelly

steel_kelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I too have just got a sony product that can play sacd's and have been looking about for good albums, i have seen a paul van dyk album which should sound great being dance music but i have only ordered an oasis album.

5. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I still have'nt cleared up the question of what systems people are using to play SACD on. Are most using the 5:1 or just stereo. SACD DSOTM played on Denon 2900, Denon AVC10SE, through Neat Petite floorstanders, with Flatline gold cable and slate stands, using an SVS sub woofer (or not as I have tried both) was an anti climax. Playing it in 5:1 was entertaining for a few minutes then began to seriously annoy me.

Comparing the stereo performance to my standard HiFi easily revealed its shortcomings. Now thats not to say that the Denon 2900 through my current HiFi set up would'nt be fantastic, but with the limited software available , the fact that I own around a thousand CDs and Lps and the inconvenience of moving stuff around Ive been loathe to try it.

I'm sure SACD must offer a superior sound, I just have'nt experienced it yet.

6. Leander

Leander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    At the risk of being repetitive, I think Avalon by Roxy Music is just superb.

This is in 5.1 but I also have a couple of the tracks on this album on a Roxy music 'best of' SACD which is only stereo. To me there is no comparison, the 5.1 wins by a mile but it really is a matter of personal preference.

Also looking forward to Brothers in Arms as has been announced in another post and War of the Worlds some time this summer.

Cheers,

Leander

7. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Sea Change from Beck is a great SACD as is the last Peter Gabriel (Up ?) his only multi channel SACD (all the others are stereo - whatever that is!)
    You have already ordered the best multi channel SACD (DSOTM) Looking forward to Brothers in Arms & Rory Gallagher "best of" next month ...
    HTH ... Paul ;)

8. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Machinehead & Tubular Bells.

9. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Norah Jones "Come Away With Me" gets my vote personally - I definitely prefer the 5.1 over stereo, it just has more ambience.

10. jamie110

jamie110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Evening,

Groove armada (goodbye country hello nightclub) is a good purchase, if your kind of thing! Bruce springstein for some rock or the police?

The track on pink floyd The dark side of the moon, time is a great track to listen to it all working properly IMHO

I listen through a DVPNS999ES and a STRVA333 with IXOS cables and sonny SSB4 speakers (not great speakers but they do there job nicely, and ill upgrade when i get the cash)

WWW.PLAY.COM have a dedicated section....... :rotfl:

Good luck

11. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for your replies folks! Actually, i've just had a thought, will I need seperate phono leads for each channel to my amp???

12. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,475
    Yes you will!!

Phil

13. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Can I ask what your stereo experience is and what you system comprises. I cant help thinking that most people have been listening to stereo through a HC system instead of a dedicated music set up and I am wondering if this is really why SACD has caught the imagination, due to the 5:1 and not the increased sound quality.

I am implying that a good HiFi is a totally different proposition to a HC system and that many people might not have heard just how good that can be. Standard stereo sound can be amazing through a dedicated system, but I have a few albums where you would swear that I had speakers hidden around the room, I know Q sound managed this effect, but these albums dont't seem to have any processing.

14. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    Although that's undoubtedly a factor, I think it's more that standard CD hasn't offered that much to many people. I think I mentioned before Kark, I have the 2900 as well. It was wired up to the HC system, but frankly 5.1 is too gimicky for words on most DVD-A / SACD discs and switches me right off. The Denon is now wired into the standard stereo kit, and gives reasonable results from the hi-res stereo mixes.

However, I'm not convinced, with a pretty large hi-res collection now, that it was all worth the effort as I prefer the vinyl copies over the majority of the hi-res disc's I've bought (even in stereo!). Plus my CD player gives good enough results that many of the naffer hi-res mixes (automatic for the people springs to mind :rolleyes: ) have gone onto ebay.

Avalon is a good example of the above. It was well (over?) produced on vinyl anyway, and the SACD really hasn't tempted me from using that format. DSOM is another example. Steely Dan are also excellent on Vinyl, and the discs I bought, while superior to the CD's, were frankly a waste of money.

I know this may be classed as 'blasphemy' to the digital freaks, but hey, there you go! :D

If you want to try an cut costs on hi-res have a look on ebay as quite a lot come up. Also check the "international box" when searching, as there are quite a few good US sellers, which even with postage (customs apparently aren't fussed) work out cheaper than buying form the UK!

15. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I must have missed you mentioning that you were using a 2900 into your system.
    So its all down to the quality of the software, back where we were 20 years ago when the first SACD were released :thumbsdow no doubt they will improve, but I suppose the effort is going to be placed on 5:1, if these posts are anything to go by, rather than higher quality sound :(
    Looks like vinyl is the only alternative for Audiophiles..........after all this time :rolleyes: we are back where we started, dusting and adjusting :confused:

16. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Im nto saying sacd isnt good just saying it wont take off. can u see the average chav with there aiwa stereo getting somethign out of it? U do need exspensive hardware to hear a difference.

17. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    My CD system would be a dedicated Akai seperates system that cost me about £1000 all in, although it's knocking on in years now. It's got nothing to do with 5.1 vs Stereo - The question was about what SACD's are recommended. The Norah Jones is a hybrid disk and if I listen to it in Stereo it's fine BUT I do prefer the subtle 5.1 mix - it's not overly altered (unlike say the DTS 5.1 of Police's Greatest Hits) it just rounds the sound nicely to my ears. I've got Stereo SACD's and I have noticed a better quality to some (such as Aerosmith), but I really do like the Norah Jones 5.1 mix over the "standard" stereo.
    At the end of the day it is individual choice - I was just stating mine.

18. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    And theres the rub. My stepfather also has an aging Akai outfit that cost roughly the same amount. CD sounds distinctly "shut in" compared to his Denon 2802, while the RIAA inputs are only there for a laugh. This why Karkus made the comment, and why recommending anything is muddied. I Agree that it's all matter of personal taste, but to compare "Quality", as the thread suggests, it's also down to hardware.

19. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    It isn't too bad in terms of sound (It's actually got a digital link to the amp instead of phonos!) and even on my JVC car or parents Sony/Yamaha combo, I'd still say the same thing. But again - that's my personal taste and compared to other SACD's I own, I quite like listening to that one!

20. Mandel

Mandel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only thing harmful to the format is people on forums posting that kind of thing. If you can't hear the difference then it says something about your hearing. That isn't an attempt to be inflammatory, its possible if your hearing is used to a top end system you are less likely to be able to appreciate SACD on a £250 5.1 setup. My original system for SACD surround was a player I picked up for £99, a low end Yamaha amp (RX-V340), 5 Gale monitors and a £50 sub. The difference between CD and SACD on that was very noticable.

I have since upgraded my system a bit (new amp and better front 3 speakers), and a better speaker layout, of course this sounds much better again, but that doesn't detract from the fact that SACD on a low end Richer Sounds seperates system is a big improvement from RBCD on the same system.

21. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've read mixed opinions on this now. Have decided to give it a go and see for myself. I didn't buy the Sony 955 for SACD, but since it's capable, and I believe they're the ones who introduced the format, I'll give it a try. Just need those cables first. I was contemplating using the freeby horrible things you get with the unit, but all my other cables are quality, and this just wouldn't be right!

22. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,767
    I think the 5.1 format will take off with the younger generation who've probably never heard vinyl. I've not heard and DVD-A or SACD recordings so can't really comment but I do think that the DVD from J M Jarre sounded excellent, but then again his kind of music does suit the over-production and sound shifting around the room approach.

23. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes i've heard JMJ's Aero and thought that sounded awesome. Really liked it. I just hope SACDs have a similar feel.

24. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  25. OnTheFly

OnTheFly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Genius Loves Company - Ray Charles
    Sea Change - Beck
    Chicago - Soundtrack

www.dvdpacific.com

26. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks i'll look into these

27. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    You sure your right with 3 times the price ? Anyway they should be fine.

28. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Ah the age old debate, Frankly dudes MC 5.1 music, especially High resolution MC 5.1 music has been an unmitogated disaster, the industry has tried to shove this multi speaker experience on the masses, all the whilst forgetting that the masses have 2 channel CD/LP collections. Now if they had adopted a “stereo only” approach, it might have been very different. Shame really because everyone wants the best quality recordings, its just been a real mess-up due to the 5.1 angle.

Stereo brothers, stereo is where its at (and where its always been).

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143693
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153604

Anyway to mention some good SACDs I own and they have rather nice CD layers :

Sting : Sacred Love
    Police : Zennyatta Mondatta
    Police : Synchronicty
    Police : Greatest Hits

29. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok so I was a tenner out. Does it matter??? Anyway, i've found an alternative.

30. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    You're using a Universal DVD player, and a budget one at that - decent CD playback is the last thing it's designed for. SACD will inevitably sound better. No universal player will do justice to CD unless you get into megabucks territory.

I have an £800 Universal player, and while the CD sound is better than I have heard from most DVD players, the SACD still sounds better.

However the sound from my £500 CD player puts the SACD and DVD-A from the Universal player firmly in second place.

Nothing at all to do with "If you can't hear the difference then it says something about your hearing..." and more to do with the level of sound quality some of us are used to from CD that makes SACD seem less impressive. Just don't see the sense in your statement "... its possible if your hearing is used to a top end system you are less likely to be able to appreciate SACD on a £250 5.1 setup...". You make it sound like that's a fault on the part of the person that is used to listening to better quality equipment.

For "...less likely to be able to appreciate..." let's substitute, "...more likely to notice the shortcomings..." ;)

Most people have never heard what a well mastered CD played on good quality, dedicated hi-fi equipment is capable of. That's why they're so impressed by SACD and the rest of us are left scratching our heads thinking "Is that it?"