1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quality Question?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Bob Todd, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    is it likey there will be noticeable quality in movies on different formats but encoded in the same resolution?

such as say Tomb Raider WM9 and HD-DVD(when it arrives) or are they likely to look the same?

I have seen some of these US sat movies like master and commander and Star Trek first contact, and they look like they could use a smigen more bitrate if u see what I mean

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    The current WMVHD titles are limited to DVD's maximum bitrate of 10 Mbps, even those at 1080p resolution. Titles on HD DVD and Blu-ray in 1080p24 will (hopefully) be released with bitrates around the 14-16 Mbps bitrate for MPEG-4 AVC and VC-1 codecs which has been tested to give the optimum PQ. So, in theory, there should be an increase in quality over the currently released titles in WMVHD. Hope this helps.

Steve

3. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought we would see higher bitrates for HD DVD and Blu-Ray Dutch? Interesting.

The current HD broadcast material - like M&C and Star T 1st Contact -can look a little "off focus" and grainy - not sure on the process employed by the TV channels, but I would expect an official HD release on HD or Blu-Ray to look even better.

4. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Roger,

Tests carried out by the Blu-ray Disc Founders found that around 16 Mbps was the "sweetspot" for best picture quality - increasing this to 20 Mbps got a lower "score" from the test material observers.

Steve

5. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's quite interesting - would love to see the difference myself.