Quality question for different recording options

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Pompom2, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Pompom2

Pompom2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I transferred my "movie" from the camcorder to the computer via USB and the quality is terrible. Upon reading this forum I realize that is NOT the thing to do. Currently I dont have a firewire for my computer but that is easy enough to get.

Question is...Will the quality from my camcorder to a stand alone DVD recorder via DV direct be the same as the computer hookup (firewire NOT USB)?

Problem is I bought a stand alone for about $85. I see good DVD burners for around $35.00. I could save $50 but then I have to install the burner, get a firewire, transfer, edit, record, etc. I am thinking the stand alone is the best (for me) because it would be much easier but I am still not sure because I want the best quality recording..

2. Analogue

Analogue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a straight transfer from MiniDV Camcorder to DVD using a good STB DVDR gives good results if you stick to 1 hour format DVD recordings (i.e. 1 per DV SP tape).

However if you want to import that and edit it on your PC then the final edited DVD is not such good quality as using Firewire to import and then editing to produce a final DVD.

Also although hardware prices are a bit lower in the US than here in Europe I would have thought that $85 wouild only get you a very basic supermarket brand DVDR. Branded DVDR's definitely give better results even the cheaper manufacturer brands. I have heard good reports of Samsung, Liteon and LG units, notwithstanding Panasonic Sony etc

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,523
    A standalone DVDR will give good results, but limited editing options. A DVDR with a HDD adds extra editing options, but this is still very limited compared to what can be done on a PC.
    A PC can give even better PQ, but it really depends on the software you use and how you set it up. It will however take a fair bit longer to get a playable DVD out - but that is why the PQ is often better due to the extra work the PC can be setup to do in cleaning up the video etc.

So to sum up - quick and easy, use a standalone recorder. More advanced editing & possibly better PQ, use a PC/Mac but be prepared to leave it running overnight to create the disc.

Mark.