Quality or Technology?

gargoyle

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks to some good advice from forum members, I picked up two pairs of headphones last week which I'm really pleased with but I have one more query and hope you can help on this - I'v read some of the threads concerning headphones used in conjunction with dvd movies and given that I like to watch films late, I need to pick up a decent pair but there appear to two trains of thought concerning this - either, buy a very good pair of headphones i.e sennheiser 600 etc, or buy a dedicated decoding pair like the sony mdr ds510.
I'v seen reviews for sennheiser and it looks very promising but can't find any for the sony - are there any users out there who can let me know how these (or any other 5.1 headphones) sound?

if you use a yamaha av receiver they tend to put out a reasonable surround effect out of standard headphones, it will allow you to get a reasonable effect with a massive amount of extra sound quality!

Personally I'd go for a good dedicated surround set, a good one is the Pioneer DIR800 from www.audiocubes.com about the price of a set of HD600, and will sound far more convincing for movies IMHO.

pbirkett said:
Personally I'd go for a good dedicated surround set, a good one is the Pioneer DIR800 from www.audiocubes.com about the price of a set of HD600, and will sound far more convincing for movies IMHO.
The Sony MDR-DS3000 Digital Surround Headphones at 199$us, from Audio Cubes, looks a good buy as it includes the processor.
I'd be interested to see some comparative reviews.

I'm not too keen on importing headphones (too many bad experiences!) but hope that either model makes it to these shores as they both sound very promising, oddly enough, for the life of me, I can't find a single review for the medusa, pioneer or sony - everyone who's interested says they intend to pick up one or the other but its as if everyones afraid to make that final commitment!

gargoyle said:
I'm not too keen on importing headphones (too many bad experiences!) but hope that either model makes it to these shores as they both sound very promising, oddly enough, for the life of me, I can't find a single review for the medusa, pioneer or sony - everyone who's interested says they intend to pick up one or the other but its as if everyones afraid to make that final commitment!

Apparently is already has made it over here, see the 5.1 headphones thread, I'm sure someone said AVland is selling them.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom