1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quality of s-video feed from 9700pro to TFT

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by kjab3068, Dec 2, 2003.

1. kjab3068

kjab3068

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi there, hope this is the right place for this...

got a quick question, I was wondering as to then quality of the s-vid output from radeon 9700pro's. I was connecting to my iiyama tft via DVI, but since getting a plasma I connect the plasma to my comp via that.

I do, however, still want a monitor so that if someone else is watching tv, etc I can still surf/play games/whatever. I was thinking of getting a longish s-vid cable and connecting my monitor to that.

Can anyone tell me what the quality of the connection would be, and if it is a feasable thing to have the comp running basically 2 monitors, but with the same image displayed on both.

Cheers
    neil

2. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    S-video quality is just about poor to moderate, I'd say, but, assuming there's a VGA input on the TFT, I think you'd do better using that, or sticking with the DVI to the TFT and using the VGA into the plasma.

There should be no problem at all using two displays from the Radeon, subject to what exactly you're doing. DScaler, for example, will only display on one screen (unless things have changed recently) and there might be similar constraints re DVD etc. Not a problem if you plan on using the monitor whilst the plasma is in use for something like TV, as you say.

You just use the 'clone' setting in the Radeon setup to get the same on both, if that's what you want, and you should be able to configure the display resolutions independantly.

3. kjab3068

kjab3068

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    ok, got the plasma connected via dvi and the monitor via vga cable into a vga/dvi converter. however, i can't seem to get them to display two different resolutions on each screen. is there a quick way of doing this other than going through display setttings each time!

Cheers

4. kjab3068

kjab3068

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    job's a goodun, alt+F5 to change display from plasma to tft, then hotkey in powerstrip ctrl+alt+1 for tft, ctrl+alt+2 for plasma

Now I just need to find a place where my wireless desktop reciever works well for both my desk and in front of the plasma!