1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quality of Philips LCD TV range

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Axegrinder, May 24, 2005.

1. Axegrinder

Axegrinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm in the market for an LCD TV. Having lurked on this forum for a while it seems that Philips have a good reputation amongst members here. Would I be correct in this?

I ask because my parents have a Philips 32" CRT with integrated freeview and they say they would not buy a Philips product again. First of all they were early adopters with the digital TV and Philips stopped the over-the-air updates for that particular model at least, which means they now have a TV that has no interactive (press red) services and also the on-off switch failed last year which means they have to put it on stand-by then switch off at the mains!

A neighbour also bought a Philips DVD recorder which they too had nothing but trouble with and ended up swapping for a panasonic.

So, should I be wary of Philips as far as LCD TVs are concerned? Or is it just a case of bad luck and I'm no more likely to have problems with their products than I would with any other manufacturer?

2. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Well philips do have a particular reputation for poor build quality in some respects, but in many other respects there is no doubting the quality of the pictures their TV's can produce.

I'm sure Jimsan will sniff this thread out from a mile away and will be delighted to tell you how good their top of the range LCD is! Not sure about the quality of thier lesser models though

Other than the Firmware issue I don't recall having seen any major issues with their LCD's as such.

3. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There have been many issues with Philips CRT TVs in the past years.
    Failing widescreen picture tubes (also in other makes, as Philips tubes are used by others as well), and badly designed mains switches are some of the best known.

The 9986 has been on the market for less than a year, but it had its bad start. When I read this forum about the new 9830 and how everybody is expecting it to turn up in the shops at the predicted release date, I would say... don't count on it, it may well be a month or two or three delayed.
    When I read about the 9986 I went to the local shops to see the thing in action, but I had to come back several times each time hearing "well it has been promised in two weeks time, please look at our Sharp and Sony models, bla bla". Of course when it finally appeared I was glad I waited...

Difficult to say if there will be problems. It may work for years, or it may fail in 2-3 years time and not worth the trouble to repair. Who knows.

About the firmware: there are bugs, and there are things that could have done in a much better way. But large companies normally don't release firmware updates when there are no fatal problems.
    Firmware problems also plague the DVD/HD recorders, but they do so for most manufacturers.
    When you buy something from a small manufacturer like Kiss, Dream Multimedia etc you will be able to download updates every few months and improve the product over time. Not so with Philips or other major manufacturers.

4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Here I am!

Actually, I am no great fan of Philips products particularly. In fact, when I found out that the 9986 was likely to be on my short list for a new TV I sort of tried to find fault with it during my testing process. I certainly have no illusions about their reputation, quality wise, and would not be at all surprised if my 9986 doesn't go 'phut' sometime in the future.....it's the only Philips product in my house.

However.....the bloody thing just blew my socks off! Not only does it produce a superb picture, but Philips have gone the extra mile by adding features, like the Ambilight, that no other manufacturer has probably even thought of.

There have been problems with the 9986. Most notably the 'buzzing' backlight saga. This is probably about the most serious quibble, but I haven't heard many people talking about it recently. I suspect they now realise that all LCD's have a bit of a buzz going on. Certainly mine does, but oh so quietly....

There will always be nightmare stories from purchasers of any brand (Especially Tiny!) but don't you let that put you off the best LCD manufacturers in the game.....Philips. Roll on the 9830!

Jimmy

5. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The 9986 had a very poor start in life and were recalled for a quite a few months due to a serious design fault that could cause them to catch fire and the ambilight interfered with the remote control - the threads are still in the plasma forum here and here. But to give credit their due, they sorted out the problem but it probably cost them a good few sales - mine included and gave them a bit of bad press. I still question their build quality against some other manufacturers units at the same price point.

-Ian