Quality of kitchens - 15mm pre built by Moores or 18mm Wickes flat packed?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Gof, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Gof

Gof

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi guys - I'm booked into Wickes today to order my kitchen - one final question for advice in case I cancel this appointment.

I have decided whatever happens not to buy Wickes worktops - gonna get Axiom instead as the kitchen guys reckon Wickes worktops are inconsistent!

Big issue is whehter to buy my units from Wickes flat packed and assemble or to go for a Moores kitchen (carcases in 15mm) but pre-built, quicker delivery and probably better quality of fittings/doors/hinges.

So before I go spend all this money on creating a nice glossy kitchen I offer myself up to comments and advice from you lot :thumbsup:

2. TEDDYBASS

TEDDYBASS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it were me I would go for quality, if.... you are prepared to pay for it. The general consensus of opinion within the building industry is that a prebuilt carcass will always be more rigid and stronger and will therefore last longer.
    On the other hand how does that decision stack up financially. What is the life expectancy of the kitchen ? If you are planning to move in a couple of years or think you may change it again in three years, bomb proof durability shouldnt be your primary concern.
    As far as fittings and handles are concerned I would always recommend you go for the best you can afford as they take a lot of wear and tear. There is nothing more frustrating than trying to replace a door handle etc 6 months down the line only to find they have been discontinued or are difficult to get hold of.

3. Gof

Gof

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hiya - I just contacted Moores and their units have 'flimsy' backs whereas Wickes have 18mm thick back panels - I know our ikea one fell apart at the back from dishes bashign the back panel out as it was flimsy! This pretty much pusehs me to Wickes!

I agree with your sentiment re: fixtures and quality and I think this is why I am off to Wickes and not Ikea (more in my budget) or MFI. ;)

Sound advice - have decided not to buy the Wickes worktop and spend the xtra cash on a better worktop from Axiom as it will take more wear and tear!

4. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,615
    I had similar concerns regarding rigid versus flat-packed, especially as my late grand-father had his own kitchen business....We did go in the end upon recommendation of our builder (ours was more building work than kitchen fitting) with the Wickes kitchen as he was comfortable adjusting it where needed...We have the flat-pack carcass but with real-wood doors...And it it very good quality....

I wouldn't have any concerns regarding fittings and fixtures as upon research they all seem to come from plumb (!? spelling) but are not branded as such. This is a serious drawer and fitting supplier, and after 6 months of use I can honestly say that these are the best drawers ever and also the soft door closers are very good....
    Our builder was the same as the one who put in our inlaws Howdens kitchen, and the drawers, hinges and closers are definitely of 'lesser' grade in my opinion...Theirs is 8 months old and you can feel/see the soft-close becoming less already....

Regarding worktops, I would serious recommend to consider Granite if you like it and can stretch to it...There are some amazing deals on ebay and/or dealing with the stonemasons directly...Upto 40% cheaper easily than from a reseller...You could get approximately 3 2400x600 slabs cut and installed at your home for £1000-£1500 depending on the stone you want....

5. Gof

Gof

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Good to know!

I've just returned from orderign the Wickes kitchen and didn't order the worktops - told them I was going to source my own! To be fair I foudn the service I had from Wickes to be spot on (Nottingham store).

Now 5 weeks to wait! Got appliances to source-lol! :clap:

6. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,615
    Yes we found their service very good! Also once the build started we changed our mind and accidently damaged other goods and their exchange/after-sales service is very good as well...

Don't know what appliances you are looking for but we found that http://www.applianceplanet.co.uk was able to offer some really good deals on the appliances...Even better than some of the other big sites, though it may differ from brand to brand, we went for everything Siemens, it could be worth a look....

Also if you are picky on what you want, don't rely on the 7-10days they say the industry is geared towards....Order as quickly as possible as some of our stuff was on two months back-orders.....

Don't know whether you were going to do any spot lights in the ceiling or anything like that. But just incase, I was able to get some pretty good deal of spotlights, halogen bulbs, firehoods and transformers from brandedlighting4u on ebay...When contacting them they make a listing specifically for you with all the things you want, fast delivery and very good prices.....And top quality product....

Lightswitches themselves I got from tlc-direct.co.uk, again top service....

Hope this helps and provides some idea.....

7. Gof

Gof

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    This place looks the mutts nutts - we are going for a 110Rangemaster Toledo duel duel and matching hood and tapered splashback - around £2K but £1721 from here - looks like 4 weeks on delivery so will order soon!

Many thanks,

will aslo get my electricals from where you mentioned!

:smashin:

8. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,615
    I am gald it worked for you as well! It's a big difference isn't it!

Well worth the extra effort of shopping around! Looking for underfloor heating as well? ;)

9. PaulaB

PaulaB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I looked at Wicks but they only do 73cm wall units. I want the taller 93cm ones, so there isn't that stupid gap between the wall unit and the ceiling. Any chance of Wicks starting to do them?

10. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,615
    Whether it is a stupid gap is a very personal opinion! I think it depends on ones kitchen, but generally not having the gap makes it look like there is a hole in the wall at the bottom of the wall cabinets....Having it open above the wall cabinets also creates the illusion of space, making the room look bigger....Anyway that is all personal opinions anyway....

I don't have the Wickes catalogue infront of me so can't exactly state how to do it...But you basically have a few options if you want to close the gap....

1. Hang them higher; looks silly in my opinion
    2. Use a smaller cabinet to make the cabinets taller; we've mixed cabinet sizes to be able to have different fronts so that you can break-up a 'wall' of cabinets....You'll have to get creative for this one :D
    3. Bring the 'wall' forward above the cabinets instead of the cabinets taller, as you will need a step to reach in the top anyway unless you are very tall yourself....We did this partially to hide a load bearing beam where we moved the wall such that the American fridge freezer could be flush with the worktops as hey are deeper than the standard worktop depth :rolleyes:

Good luck....

11. Claireypoo

Claireypoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek: :eek: We have had a total nightmare with our Wickes kitchen installation. Late, damaged, won't fit, incomplete. Honestly - don't pay them upfront! We have had no real compensation and still don't have a kitchen 1 month later!

12. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,046
    No problems at all with my Wicks Kitchen. All parts arrived , on time, good carcasses. No complaints

13. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Have you really registered here just to resurrect this three year old thread - I assume that you intend to try and conduct a vendetta via the internet

14. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    We are about to have our kitchen extended and rebuilt and are using a local kitchen company to do. I asked him to quote for granite worktops but thought that £3,000 was a bit steep so have gone for "ordinary" ones instead

15. CFC1

CFC1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,407
    :eek: ... That's another holiday with the saving, Ian ... and some spending money too! ;) :thumbsup:

:D

16. Claireypoo

Claireypoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No - I have registered here to warn people to not pay Wickes upfront. I was trying to be helpful - what's your intention?

17. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    That's the way that I looked at it as I now do tend to weigh up any major expenditure in terms of holidays :D