1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

quality of ipod/ iTrip through car radio

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by dood, Feb 18, 2005.

Tags:
  1. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I have a 40 gig iPOD, purchased after friends raved about the quality. They also mentioned strength of the iTrip: 5 cars travelled long distance, all tuned in to the iPOD and all were able to receive the signal well!

On playing songs via the car radio using the iTrip, my initial impression was that the sound was awful. It doesn't sound so bad now so maybe my ears are just getting used to the compressed sound. One problem I do have though is that there is a great deal of interference coming through from other cars when I am in traffic. This is not much of a problem on the open road. My friends don't complain of this and I'm wondering if I have a particular problem or faulty gear. Would the fault be wit the iTrip, if so simply swapping this out should solve the problem.

I've read the other threads about using the line out and headphone out. My experience with laptops is that the output from the headphone out is much lower so you have to crank up the volume on the amp, whereas the line out is fine. I presume the output from the iPod itself is headphone and the one from the docking station is line out. I'll try these out soon and comment. My use of the iPod is predominantly in the car so getting rid of the interference is my main concern.

2. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have used the iTrip in my car to great effect, but it took some working out, both in terms of the frequency to transmit at, 87.5 in my case and the position on the car.
    Try to find a frequency that is free and does not have any station transmitting close by. This is especially true of BBC stations which bleed all across the frequency band and interfer with anything close by.
    In my Accord I have to have the iPod and attached iTrip in the same plane as the radio for a good sound. I have tried using various mounts which angle the iPod towards the driver, or passenger, but this always degrades the sound. I also have the iTip/Pod combination as close to the radio as possible.
    Not wishing to disagree with your friends, but I very much doubt if any other car could tune into the iTrip going along the motorway. I have tried it in the house with my stereo and more than a couple of paces away from the reciever the signal is lost and/or useless.
    You have to remember that the quality is only FM and therefore will never be as good as a CD or line out direct into the car stereo. Also only have the volume on the iPod between 50 and 75% and use the car stereo to increase it any further. Any more than 75% can potentially distort the sound.

3. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    There are 2 types of interference I get:
    1. A crackle/hiss/hum sound always in the background. This is not normally noticeable at low volumes but is very apparent at high volumes during the pauses between songs.
    2. Engine noise from some cars that drive by closely, usually old cars that are obviously not well noise suppressed.

Neither of these is related to sounds from other radio stations and there are no stations broadcasting near the frequency I use (the iPod default of 87.9). Therefore I don't think changing the frequency will make much difference.

I tested the range yesterday. I kept the iPod in the house, tuned the car radio to it and managed to drive 2 street blocks away before losing the signal. I had to raise the car's antenna.

4. markbingo

markbingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    My iTrip is not very good. Mine seems to pick up on the power stearing. Fine if im going in a straight line, but as soon as I have to use that pesky stearing thingy it distorts !

I am currently trying to work out how to wire mine directly to the car in place of my CD autochanger.

Nothing will be as good as a hardwire I think.

5. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Dood. I am very impressed with the reception distance of your iTrip. I stand corrected.
    I use mine extensively in Manchester and don't have any of the interference problems from other road users or the cars electronics. Maybe you have a slightly duff iTrip?