Quality of Hollywood +?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jtorry, Nov 13, 2001.

1. jtorry

jtorry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have been using the hollywood plus for a year now and have been very happy with its qaulity. I am using the s video out and have a Videologic Digitheatre. I recently bought a JVC AV32WFT1 and was just wondering if the Hollywood + does the TV justice. I have a budget of up to £300 and really only want to buy a new player if I will see the diiference in picture quality. Anyone have any advice? Please.

2. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    If you can live with the noise that most PC's make when running and your DVD rom drive is a good one, then I don't see much point in spending your £300 on a stand alone DVD player.

The best thing about the Hollywood+ card is you won't get layer changes as it buffers the signal. Why more stand alone players can't do this is beyond me.

Even my Tag McLaren DVD32R pauses for a fraction of a second at the layer change.

Also, the H+ card can also disable macrovision (via DVDGenie), thus improving (some people think) the picture. This also allows you to copy your DVD's onto video if you want.

3. jtorry

jtorry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    have you had personal experience of the Hollywood + to compare it to a stand alone?

4. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    I'm now on my third stand alone player.
    Started out with a first gen Pioneer DV501 player bought on day one from the USA. Didn't know how bad this player was until I got a DVD Rom drive and a H+ card.

It blew it away both with picture and sound (the Pioneer didn't output DTS), but I couldn't live with the noise of the PC. Eventually got an Arcam DV88 that was a great step up.

Now I have the best DVD player on the market - a Tag McLaren DVD32R.

Sold my DVD Rom drive and H+ card after getting the Arcam - no point holding on to them, but they're still a great intro to DVD, but it takes a bit for a stand alone to compare.