Quality of HD .ts streaming?

zz101

Banned
Plenty of people seem to have their 360 set up for streaming with MCE on here but there doesnt seem to be much mention of the actual quality? Is the streamed .ts image (wired or wireless) similar to that given with a direct PC to TV connection or worse?

:)

kevlar

I'm streaming .ts files and mostly the quality is superb. I have had trouble with one movie though, the bitrate is very high and while the picture looks superb, whenever there is a large explosion or flashes of light it seems to skip a few frames like it can't keep up with that much rapid picture change. I also had a problem with a WMV HD movie, the picture was superb but it had 2 audio tracks, German and English, but the 360 chose to play the German track and there is no way to change to the english track.

zz101

Banned
kevlar said:
I'm streaming .ts files and mostly the quality is superb. I have had trouble with one movie though, the bitrate is very high and while the picture looks superb, whenever there is a large explosion or flashes of light it seems to skip a few frames like it can't keep up with that much rapid picture change. I also had a problem with a WMV HD movie, the picture was superb but it had 2 audio tracks, German and English, but the 360 chose to play the German track and there is no way to change to the english track.
Thanks - is that wired or wireless?

If you run the file through 'virtualdubmod' you can remove the german soundtrack quite easily.

kevlar

zz101 said:
Thanks - is that wired or wireless?

If you run the file through 'virtualdubmod' you can remove the german soundtrack quite easily.
Thats a wired network.

Tried everything to remove the german soundtrack, apparently it's impossible as the movie has DRM.

Kopite4Ever

I have the ability to use MCE/360 and a direct connection from PC to my display so when comparing there is a pretty big difference IMO. I found streaming via MCE made the ts files very soft looking were as direct connection is pin sharp. After testing i can say ive ever had the need now to use MCE with the xbox 360 the quality for my eyes is no were near good enough.

cyberheater

I've had a Showcenter 200 which is a high definition network media player and used a MCE machine with a Nvidia 6600 via DVI to my HDTV and to be honest. The 360 is better then the Showcenter and on par with the MCE machine.
Certainly, high def .TS files streamed to it look stunning.

zz101

Banned
Kopite4Ever said:
I have the ability to use MCE/360 and a direct connection from PC to my display so when comparing there is a pretty big difference IMO. I found streaming via MCE made the ts files very soft looking were as direct connection is pin sharp. After testing i can say ive ever had the need now to use MCE with the xbox 360 the quality for my eyes is no were near good enough.

What connection do you have between your PC / 360 and TV / 360.

I've just bought a new HDD and MCE but not been able to set it up yet as my PSU blew. I'm now thinking I may be better off with a media streaming device. :(

Kopite4Ever

From 360 to my projector the connection is component @ 720p60.
From Media PC to projector DVI-D at 720p50/60. Play files via TheaterTek.

Given the choice its straight connection to the projector from the PC 100% its just alot sharper and richer in quality.

Edit : I should mention ive got a Nvidia 7 Series GPU as well so all the purevideo lovelies help alot :D