1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quality of HD material on panny plasmas?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by andyatkins, Jul 7, 2004.

1. andyatkins

Standard Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    (Yes I have a version of this also in the Plasma forum - but need a quick answer so please bear with me)

I have to make a final decision in the next couple of days of whether to go foro the 42" or 50" Panny HD 6 series. My sources will be Sky+ & a DVD player (probably Pioneer 575) & will feed the panels VGA port via RGB Scart thru the JS VGA converter thingy. I'll be sitting about 8'-10' from the screen.

Assuming Sky's HD service is either 720p or 1080i (Reports on Astra standardising on these for thier new satellite seem ot confirm this for me anyway?), my question remains does the fact that the 42" 'only' having a 1024x768 display with oblong pixels make a noticable difference to an HD image compared to the 50" with 1366x768 square pixels. Clearly there wud be some horizontal scaling going on with the 42" panel but when you view an HD signal is it truly noticable?

I saw one of those Sagem DLP projectors @ Comet last week running 720p material & it was gob-smacking. I want to feel comfortable that the panel I buy shows an equivalently impressive image & suspect the 42" will be fine but am looking for some re-assurance.

Would be particulalrly pleased to hear from existing 42HD users who may have played out 720p signals on their panel.