Quality of component scart DVD output fed through an RGB scart TV

Sun

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hullo,

I have gone and bought the DVD player from Dabs as advertised in the Special Offers forum

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=120065

However It wasn't clear whether it was RGB scart or not and I took a chance which doesn't look like it was a good one. It looks to be a composite ONLY scart socket and as I only have RGB scart on my TV I am worried it will result in a poor image.

I have never seen the difference between RGB and Composite or Composite fed through RGB for that matter, so don't have much in the way of examples to refer too.

I don't doubt the opinions of the chaps on the thread but a general consenus is always wortwhile. will it look pants and I shouldn't bother even opening the box or should I give it a go?

Realistically how bad could it be?

Thanks
Sun

edited because I said component and I meant composite :|

A TV with RGB SCART only :confused:

Never heard of that before.

The fact that it has RGB surely means that it will carry composite too.

What make and model is it.

Okay I am getting people confused here and myself. It's an LG RI-32CZ10RX with 2 scart sockets one is RGB and I don't know what the other is, when I said it's RGB only I meant that's what it is setup for but I'm sure it can take other inputs it's just a question of whether they'll look poo.

Usually teh first scart is RGB/Composite and the second is S-Video/Composite.

RGB should look the best with S-video second and finally composite which should only be used for VHS.

According to the 'product feature comparison chart' on the AMW site, the SCART output of the P80L does support RGB. The product comparison chart can be reached from a link at the top of the AMW product page.

very well noticed Zacabeb! Surely it must have it then??
I have found I do have s-video on my tv so that's pleasing, looks like I won't have to get rid of it afterall!

Given my previous experience with documented features, undocumented features and documented unfeatures, I'd say that there is a risk their information is wrong. Maybe the best thing is to wait for someone who has the player to confirm that it truly does output RGB through its SCART, or contact AMW and confirm it directly with them. Better be safe than sorry... :)

straight to the point -

composite is absoloutely naff

RGB scart is pretty much equal to S-Vid (no matter what "what scam fi" says)

Component is by far the best, but only by prog. scan - the technology for interlaced component and RGB scart is pretty much identical, it';s just the cables are better.

never run comp. unless you can avoid it, run anything else, and it's bound to be better..

Oh, and for the sceptics - i run my DVD through S-Vid Squart, having tested it against several (including squart) RGB leads, and preferred s-vid.

I'd take RGB over S-video any day. Strong colors bleed severely with S-video, with RGB the edges are cleaner. With most digitally processing sets (100Hz, plasmas, etc.) subsampling the color and losing a lot of bandwidth, RGB may drop closer to S-video in quality, but that's the fault of the color subsampling inside the set, not RGB.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom