Quality of cables for separates?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by RJS, Nov 15, 2001.

1. RJS

RJS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It looks like I'll be changing from an A/V receiver to separates later this month. This being my first experience with separates, how good should the cables be between the Pre/Pro and Amp?
    Should they be on par with the analog cables used for your CD player? Also, should all 5 cables be the same for a 5ch Amp? Just thinking logically, it seems silly to have good interconnects for your CD, DVD, and even VCR, and then pass that signal to the Amp in a lower quality cable, but I could be wrong.

I'm one of those who believes that good cables do make a difference. I've always been a believer of the 15-20% rule - if you have a $1000 CD player = interconnects somwehere in the $150-$200 range. I know there are those who disagree, and I respect their opinion, but I wouldn't spend $1000 on a CD player to have a set of $25 interconnects hold it back. :)
    Should this philosophy hold true with the separates as well?
    By the way, I don't know if it matters, but it looks like the separates will be a Rotel RSP-976 Pre/Pro and RMB-1095 Amp.
    Thanks to all on this board who gave input and very useful advice. Any suggestions on the cable thing?

Thanks for the help.

RJ

2. JDC

JDC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RJS,

As you say, these matters boil down to personal opinion, but I use the same pre/pro & pwr combination and have experimented with 3 cables (all of which were phono). There are no two ways about it, with decent mid-range kit like the Rotels, cable differences do show themselves in 5-ch. Just a question of whether you can hear them or are bothered by them.

I found a noticeable difference between cables costing £18 'per channel' and those at around £35 p/c. I also used some costing £85 p/c & whilst there was a moderate difference in tautness of low-end and expanded upper-mid range, it was very slight & to my mind did not justify the price jump. FYI, for a bit of fun, I borrowed some Kimber cables that were worth about 5 times the combined value of the components they connected... sounded damned nearly the same as the £85 p/c !

Basically, go to your dealer & borrow a selection of interconnects (if they know you well enough you won't need to leave a deposit) & see which ones flick yer bean.

3. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe you should use the same cables for all the 5 channels.

I also got infected with the cable "mania" and tried many different interconnects up to 200 pounds a pair, in the end I settled for the Ecosse Composer, 30 pounds a pair, they sounded, to me, very close to the most expensive I tried.

But there are indeed big differences among cables, and it doesn´t depend on the price, I have the TAG AV32R processor with Rotel amps.