Quality mini-speakers suitable for Marantz PM7200

vroom6sri

Standard Member
Reaction score
So, the wife wants to get rid of the floor standing speakers to give "more space" (!!!!) in our living room and I naturally suggested I get some nice brackets and put up my old but faithful Mordaunt Short shelf speakers instead.

"Oh, they are still a bit big" she says "can't we you buy some of those neat little speakers like the ones Boss do?".

"It's 'Bose', sweetheart" I say to myself.

Now, I admit I am not clued up on Hi-Fi and speakers really. I know names of companies that have great reputations but that's it. So, my question is, can anyone recommend some high quality, "little" speakers for under £200 that might suit our needs please?

can anyone recommend some high quality, "little" speakers for under £200 that might suit our needs please?

No.

There's no such animal.

I'd say "grow a pair, you wuss", but of course, that would be rude.

Quite simply, stick with what you have and stand your ground, imo.

And offer her some more space for her dolls :smashin:

Ok, so the last line is a lie :rolleyes: :laugh:

The only suggestion I have is to look for some s/h Monitor Audio Radius 90 but you will need to get a sub maybe a later date.

I have gone the Radius route for the av system in the lounge so to please the wife :)

Possible Suggestion

Cambridge Audio Minx

Brand new out come into stock at my local Richers soudns they say they were very impressed with them, i am yet to hear them yet.

8x8cm Cube 50W = £50 Each
16x8 75W £89 each

Last edited:
Badger0-0 - Spot on reply. Made me laugh and got me thinking.

Music4ever & freemo999- I'm searching now!

Thanks to all 3 of you.

Badger0-0 - Spot on reply. Made me laugh and got me thinking.

I'm glad I made you laugh, that was the intention :smashin:

But my advice still stands.

Do yourself a favour.

Buy the Minx on the understanding that you can return them, no problem, if you don't like them.

Speak to the manager and no one else ;)

I went for the Boston Acoustics XS 5.1 as they are really small, white and not at all intrusive to the decor. It's not just women that hate big black boxes in every corner of the room whilst wanting relatively decent sound quality these days. The Minx's are somewhat newer and not having seen any reviews, plus the fact that they are Richer sounds exclusives for now made me err on the side of caution. :clap:

Thanks for all this info but I am now a little concerned as a guy I work with, who is considerably more learned than I, has said these Minx speakers are for surround sound use not normal, stereo hi-fi use and, without a sub, they are not going to sound right at all. What do youz think?

I think your friend is absolutely correct.
There's no way you'd get decent sound out of those without a sub and indeed they're not designed to be used without one.

Oh dear. Looks like the floor standers are here to stay then. However, I noticed the Mordaunt Short Alumni 2 speakers on the Richer Sounds website have a write-up stating:

"Use with or without a sub, as part of a home cinema speaker, in a compact stereo system or as part of a multi-room system - the Alumni 2 is one flexible speaker!"

Maybe...?

They neglect to tell you that the frequency response is 100hz - 20kHz.So they don't do low in any form.

Your going to need a sub or bigger cabinets.Compare the Alumni to the Monitor Audio BR2, 42Hz - 30kHz and with 90db sensitivity compared to 86 so easier to drive.

K.

Looks like the floor standers are here to stay then.

And it looks like you're finally getting the hint :D

Seriously, if you want to retain decent sound that you're happy with, keep the floorstanders and show the missus these replies :smashin:

Message received and understood. The floor standers are staying.

Thanks for all the help.

I've had a slight rethink, in that I'm trying to see it from your missus' POV.

You can go for smaller speakers, but you'll lose mid range imo.

Whatever, it involves a sub.

Maybe that you can have 2 puny boxes up front and possibly hide one big box??

A bit of coming to a fair agreement, sort of thing?

You just need to choose the right sub here, as it adds a lot with telly/film.

It would cost though, at least £200 for the sub;

Sub Woofers

Worth the dough though ;)

If your wife does force you to get little speakers, don't get rid of your floorstanding speakers until you've heard and lived with the little speakers for a while.

Depending on what your floorstanders are, I think you will be very disappointed in the 'little speakers'.

And when you say 'little speakers for £200', I think we are all hoping you mean a pair of speakers for £200, and not a full 5.1 set for that price.

Also, what is your amp?

What are your floorstanding speakers, make and model?

What other speakers do you have?

How big is your room?

We could maybe recommend a pair of decent bookshelf speakers that would fill your need, but we still need to have all the above questions answered.

Still, if you are hanging on to what you have, then you are probably in good shape.

Remember, big sound does not come from small speakers.

Steve/bluewizard

Thanks guys. My amp is a Marantz PM7200. I have no surround sound setup at all (gasp!). It's all about simple (??!) stereo amp setup here.

My room is small - 5m x 6m.

My floorstanders are the exceptionally modest Eltax C205s but my lovely amp gets a lot out of them.

My other speakers are Mordaunt Short bookshelf speakers but I can't recall the model. Unfortunately, due to the room layout, these would not be great if mounted to the wall. I have been thinking about some nice stands for them that might give an illusion of more space but I am not sure how they would mount on them - surely you don't just screw them into the bottom of the speaker?!?? Ouch!

I am willing to just stick with the current setup and my wife has agreed after seeing the comments on here.

My other speakers are Mordaunt Short bookshelf speakers......... I have been thinking about some nice stands for them............ but I am not sure how they would mount on them - surely you don't just screw them into the bottom of the speaker?!?? Ouch!

Flat bottomed speakers onto flat top speaker stand Conundrum??

blu-tack for all your secure fixing needs!!! (also available in White!!)

K.

Now, a lot of people could say I am gullible but I prefer to think of myself as trusting so please, please tell me the blu-tac comment is a definitely a joke.

Please?

No, not at all.

It's a perfectly good suggestion :smashin:

I don't even bother with Blu-tack.

If you have a decent cabinet (and most decent speakers these days do), I really don't see the need myself.

Nope, blu-tac works very well - you just have to change it every couple of months or so or it can become hard.
The PM7200 is a very nice amp - I have one in a second system. Glad you held your ground!

But that just seems so crazy. The speakers would be absurdly precarious just sat on a plate on top of the stand.

Oh dear, I really think I'm missing something obvious here...

It would seem so, although I'm not sure what your thinking is :confused:

If you have no kids and aren't blind, what's the problem?

If you're going to hit the speakers hard enough to knock them off, you'll knock the stand over too, even if the speaker is glued on imo.

Perhaps I'm just more careful though :D

Perhaps it was the Jokey way that I posted, that caused you to question the wisdom of using blu-tack?

It was and is a serious suggestion and is a method of securing speakers to stands that has been used by many for a long time.Try it.What have you got to lose?

K.

Thanks again for all this help. I do have kiddy-winks but I myself am far more likely to be the culprit due to my immense clumsiness. Still, perhaps they is worth a go. Init.

Cheers, all.

Kubby - loving your changing avatars.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom