1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

quality Interlaced.VS Progressive WHO'S THE DADDY

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by SLIM, Dec 24, 2004.

1. SLIM

SLIM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Ok Q WHO'S THE DADDY out of Interlaced./ Progressive when it come's right down to it :confused:.

PS i have a Hitachi pd42 3000 :smashin:

2. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    If your plasma is a progressive panel (not too hot on your Hitachi I'm afraid) it is scaling whatever the input to display in a progressive fashion.

So an interlaced source would be being converted by the panel into progressive. You could fire in a Progressive source direct to the panel so it doesn't have to do any scaling, in which case the source player would be doing all the hard work.

Which would be better ? Depends really on if your plasma or the DVD had the better scaling as to what is best.

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    Are you not confusing scaling with deinterlacing. I know scaling comes into it too but it is irrelevant to the question that was asked about interlaced and progressive.

4. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    A progresive picture is just a little higher than an Interlaced picture.
    (ie 525i or 525p)

The real quality lies in the resolution you use. If your DVD player only supports 525p then you wont really see any difference.

Same for your TV.

What you want is a DVD player like the New Denon 3910 and a Plasma or LCD TV that offers 720p or 1080i.

THEN you can see which is better. Still the difference between 720p and 1080i is also hard to see.
    BUT its easy to see how much better they are than simply making 525i into progresive.

Just because a DVD player is sold as "progresive" doesnt make it better than another player that is not.

5. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    Yes sorry I meant de-interlacing :blush:

Depends if your display can de-interlace better than your player can fire out PS was what I was trying to get to.

The relevance is I don't think it's a case of what is categorically better, which in most cases would be progressive, it is what marries best with your display and res capabilities.

Q about the daddy, well that really is a difficult one !