Quality HDMI DVD player needed!

mrapbp

Guys,

Just wanted some opinions on getting a new DVD player. I will be using this solely for my Projector (just bought a Infocus 7210!!) so want to get the best HDMI piucture I can.

My current thoughts/options are as follows:

Denon 3910 (can be had second hand for about £500)
Denon 2910 (new £399 or second hand around £250-£300)

Pioneer 868 (about £375 second hand)
Pioneer 989 (about £500 - £600 second hand).

Any views on any of the above and which route is likely to give me the best 'bang for my buck'!! Is there enough difference in the two Denon's and Pioneers to warrant the extra cash?

Any thought greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

thfccambs

Banned
TOSHIBA HDDVD players XA-1 & A-1?:smashin:

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Yeah, I'd get a Tosh HD-A1 if I was after a dvd player for that sort of money. The 3910 is awful, honestly don't even go there. It's very dubious whether it's worth paying £500 for a dvd player right now when you can get a HD-DVD player that apparently is a damn good dvd player as well for the same money. Depends if you need to be able to play back region 2 and/or PAL dvds I suppose.

mrapbp

So will this player play regular DVD's through HDMI?

Sadly most of my viewing is region 2. I take it these are US only players? When are they due to be released over here?

The other thing is isnt it worth waiting to see what happens with the whole Blue Ray Vs HD DVD fight? Was certainly what I was intending to do anyway......................??

zAndy1 said:
Yeah, I'd get a Tosh HD-A1 if I was after a dvd player for that sort of money. The 3910 is awful, honestly don't even go there. It's very dubious whether it's worth paying £500 for a dvd player right now when you can get a HD-DVD player that apparently is a damn good dvd player as well for the same money. Depends if you need to be able to play back region 2 and/or PAL dvds I suppose.

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
You'll be waiting a very long time if you're waiting for a resolution to the Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD format war. Personally I think HD-DVD has got the price right , there's some good films available and they players are supposed to be very well built and make a good job of upscaling. £450 for the HD-A1 including 6 HD-DVDs is a bargain (see the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray forum). They're due to be released here in October I believe but don't be surprised if the UK version costs £600 at least.

mrapbp

Still stuck with the region problem though with the HD-A1 so think it is out for me!

So any one have any thoughts on the ones I mentioned?

Also do I need to spend £300-£400 on something like the 2910? Is there anything cheaper that will do a good job?

Top Bottom