Quality DVD transfers

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by nl7474, Jan 13, 2008.

1. nl7474

nl7474
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With most films having more than one release on DVD I am wondering if there is any resource for learning what DVD's have the best transfers and is it always the case that older films will not be as good?

Some DVD's look fantastic upscaled whereas others do look a bit ropey.

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

Short of asking questions or reading information on these Forums, the only other online source I'd recommend is Rewind, which is the most well-known and popular DVD comparison site I know of. Their site can be found here!

They cover most titles from around the world, but not all, and it can take time for them to get comparisons prepared.

Also, it's not 100% accurate, because DVD information and opinions can change quite quickly, especially depending on who watches the disc under review and how they watch it (e.g. what kind of AV setup they have)!

Other than that, I think most people would agree by saying that the newest release of a movie, is likely to be the best transfer, but as DVD's don't always get the same treatment for every release (e.g. remastered prints, different audio, remastered audio tracks, sometimes a film is simply ported over, but has new extras, etc) it's not easy for someone to say that X title or X release is the best one. And hence, it becomes very much a personal preference, depending very much on what your AV setup is like!

I'd suggest, that if you are in doubt, then ask a question on the Forums, or see what the general view is on the Internet about the title/release you intend to spend your money on. People will happily (and quickly) tell you if the film is poor, or not up to a good enough standard! ;)

Pooch

3. sore napper

sore napper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +248
    It's best to try and read as many reviews as you can.

I have Heat 1 disc snapper that was released ages ago and I just picked up the 2 disc release in Tesco for £3. The transfer is exactly the same, but it doesn't claim to be any better.

If a re release claims to be remastered, you would think that the picture would be better, but it's still best to read the reviews.