Quality DVD player with USB connection - suggestions?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Hotblack, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Hotblack

Hotblack
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I’m looking for a Quality DVD player that can play DivX/AVI files straight from a USB stick or external HDD. I’ve read the reviews on this site for the Sigmatek XS-700 and the Phillips DVP5960 but they seem to be cheap and troublesome.

I was hoping to find something like a Panasonic or Pioneer for around £100 - £150 that would include a USB port but can only find the cheapo options. Any suggestions?

PS Not interested in any features other than an excellent picture quality.

Thanks

2. Hotblack

Hotblack
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This Buffalo DVd player is what i had in mind but this was reviewed in July 2005.

http://www.t3.co.uk/reviews/entertainment/dvd_-_player/buffalo_linktheatre_dvd_player

The Oppo DV-970HD mentions a USB input but the Oppo DV-981HD (the one on this site with 500ish replies) doesn't, is there a reason why they have dropped the USB port? Whatever the right or wrongs, playing video files from a USB stick or USB external hard drive is getting more and more popular.

Has anyone had any experience of any mid-range DVD players that can play video files from a USB port?

Thanks

3. hallanthony

hallanthony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    I'm sure I read in another thread that one of the new Pioneer range is going to have a USB port...

so maybe worth having a search through some of the other threads, sorry can't remember the thread though, been so many recently of USB players

4. Hotblack

Hotblack
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll have a look at the Pioneer website and see if I can find anything out. I've gone back over a weeks worth of posts and can only find discussions for sub £50 players which I want to avoid if I can help it. I've had a couple of cheapo DVD players so far and although it doesn't hurt too much when you throw them in the bin, I'd rather pay a bit more and get one that will last a few years.

The Denon 1930 and the Oppo DV-981HD have both caught my eye but neither have USB connections. I'm starting to wonder if there is a reason for this and maybe something to do with HDCP. I'll probably up my budget to nearer £200 - £250 and see what else there is on the market.

I'll keep looking.

Thanks

5. aniki

aniki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    I have had a 5960 for playing divx for 6 months now. Not one single problem.
    Its divx playback is superb and for a cheap player its DVD performance is surprisingly good.

6. Hotblack

Hotblack
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, fair point, the Phillips is cheap and the Sigmatek is troublesome.

I think I will go for the Phillips as a stop gap and then look at the new Pio's when they are out (and then move the Phillips into the bedroom).

Cheers for your comment, it made me go through all the Phillips threads to see who had problems with it, none so far :smashin:

7. Delh68

Delh68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    The remote is a bit 'ropey' on the Philips ~ if you can handle that, & get the right firmware, it should be fine:thumbsup:

Delh68

8. Rich Marshall

Rich Marshall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +585
    I have always had entry level ish Toshibas but now I use the philips 5960 (for the USB function alone) but the picture is no where near as good as the Tosh, through RGB scart at least.

Also the philips isn't as ergonomic, for example from cold you have to switch it on and wait about 10 seconds for it to display "Load" before you can even open the flippin drawer! Gets om me tits so it does!

Why can't I just press open and the drawer opens!

Therefore I too would like a decent quality <£200 player with USB 2.0 so I'll keep an eye on this thread.

9. Hotblack

Hotblack
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad I'm not the only one, was starting to think there was something wrong with me. :D

Seems a bit daft to spend a bucket load of cash on a new Plasma panel and then get all stingy on what feeds it. I guess it wasn't that long ago I paid £400 for a Sony 735 DVD player and a damn fine beast she was too, until she died :( The replacement Pioneer DV 575 wasn't a patch on the Sony for build quality and it wasn't a big surprise when this started to "forget" how to load a disk.

Anyway, I haven't had a chance to look deeper into the new Pioneer yet but if anyone has any news on it, I can concentrate on the gardening :)

Thanks

10. aniki

aniki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74

Best bet would be one of the Tosh HD players at around &#163;250. They are one of the only models with USB 2.0.

11. Rich Marshall

Rich Marshall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +585

Yeah, but then my money would be going towards a HD I don't need rather than on a top quality DVD player.

If someone doesn't start making things the way I want them pretty soon I'll start making my own:smashin:

12. Hotblack

Hotblack
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reading this forum, there still seems to be a few issues with Toshiba's HD players. As someone said, it would be nice if someone else could produce these players as Toshiba is not the first name off the top off your head when you think of quality DVD players. I think for the time being I will go down the cheap road and wait and see if any of the bigger names realise there is a market in adding USB 2.0 or other "easy to transfer/store media file" options.

Thanks

13. aniki

aniki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Yeah I know what you mean but its just early days.
    I would imagine that the dual format issue is also the major concern for most manufacturers without the financial support of someone like Toshiba. It'll get bigger in time.
    The advantage of the Tosh players is that they are in fact stellar SD players but on the downside they are still region locked which makes them useless for me.
    I cant say for sure if it goes hand in hand but what we really need is USB 2.0 with divx HD compatibility.
    I believe one of the pixelmagic units can do this and a couple of other standalones, even the PS3 but as I say the whole deal is still in its infancy really.
    I guess the most versatile solutions are PC based .

14. Hotblack

Hotblack
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is what I have been trying to avoid. I need a new DVD player but I would also like the features of a PC for downloading and playing media files direct to a plasma panel. I’m in Spain and due to work (and laziness) I haven’t got round to speaking the lingo yet so terrestrial TV is not much use to me and all I really need is a new DVD player that has delusions of grandeur in thinking that it’s a PC.

I also need a Multi-region one so the HD route is a no no but I’m thinking that it can only be a matter of weeks before someone rolls out a new, all singing and dancing, DVD player that treads even closer towards the PC domain.

15. hallanthony

hallanthony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    I didn't think I had imagined it :)

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504608

The DV-400AV and DV-600AV both look like they have USB...

16. Hotblack

Hotblack
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't go back as far as the 17th so thanks for the link.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it will have USB 2.0 so playing files straight of a USB stick doesn't look likely. It's surely only a matter of time before one of the big boys jumps on the USB 2.0 bandwagon?

:lease:

Edit: OK, I am confused, I was led to believe that USB1.1 is good for music and photos but can't handle video files but the USB port on the Phillips 5960 is also described as "for use with music and photo files" but as we know, it can also play video files. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what people say when the Pioneer is available. Here's an LG with a USB port but whether it can handle video files...who knows?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-2Spl3BC4sa0/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=689DN798

17. aniki

aniki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    The philips handles videos via usb just fine provided the spec is equal or below the divx 'home theatre' profile.
    For anything bigger like divxHD were gonna need usb2.