1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

quality differences in dv tape

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by stevedh, Sep 19, 2005.

1. stevedh

stevedh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm pretty sure this must have been gone over before but I did do a search (honest) and nothing specific came up on Sony DV tape.

Mostly DV tapes are in the £2-3 bracket and I'm guessing that they are pretty much similar in terms of quality. However, one tape seems to stand out in terms of price and that's the Sony DV-M60EXM2, advertised as Mini DV with Chip (attitude?). These are significantly more expensive at about £18 for a pair (DABS).

Anyone know anything about them? Are they better quality, last longer, better definition or do they do something unique not found in cheaper versions.

Here's the guff about them cut 'n pasted from DABS

"Sony delivers 60 minutes of digital video excellence with its DV-M60EXM2 digital videocassette. Featuring metal evaporated technology, it provides higher output and a higher carrier-to-noise ratio. Additional features include a diamond-like Carbon protective layer that improves durability and helps prevent shedding and drop out, high durability, and built in 4k-bit IC memory. The DV-M60EXM2 is perfect for LP recording."

All sounds very impressive but does it translate into a better image.

Any advice welcome

kind regards

Steve

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nope it doesn't.
    you are paying for the IC chip, which only select models of sony camera support & which I've never found a use for (if you were recording more than 24 tapes on one shoot then maybe) the tape may be marginally better but digital signals are so robust anyway that the tape isn't really going to make a difference. Buy cheaper tapes and use them once or twice. NEVER use LP or EP

3. stevedh

stevedh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Roy,

that's very helpful, thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

regards

Steve