1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quality Control of DVD

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by drbbshu, Jan 24, 2003.

1. drbbshu

drbbshu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I would just like to start a discussion on production quality of DVD. Over the years, I have noticed that it has been more and more difficult to get a prefectly "scratchless" DVD. I am talking about new DVDs(first hand). There are always some scratches or markings on it. I had a bad experience with LORT(R2), both the original and extended version. I bought it in HMV. The 1st disc was scratched. I bought it bad to HMV and asked for an exchange. They agreed to it. However, when I examined the new disc, it was scratched as well. So was the third, fourth, fifth... that I tried. At the end, I just gave up and asked for the refund. I was luckly with the extended version as I was allowed to choose from all of the disc that they had and mixed and matched to come out with one combination that I was happy with it. I had gone through all of their disc and nearly none of them were scratchless. Disc 1, 2 and 4 were particularly affected. At the end I managed to come out with one though disc 2 was lightly scratched.
    I had to exchange twice to get a scratchless Moulin Rouge(R2), twice for Atlantis collector edition(R2), Once for Hunchback of the Notre Dame(R2), once for Minority Report (R2) , once for Planet of the Apes(R2) and the list goes on.

2. drbbshu

drbbshu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been buying DVDs for the last 4 years but I only started noticed such problems since last years. I always check my DVDs properly. It seems to me that manufacturer no longer keep a tight control on their production line. In some countries, pirated copy of DVD costs only a quater of what is cost here and yet it offers the same level of quality, not to mention a scratchless disc. I just wonder where did all our money goes. It will be hard to justified paying this much money and yet the disc is scratched(even form new). It doesn't matter how many times we can exchange the goods later. All this is time consuming. The goods should be right from the beginnig.

Any thoughts?

3. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,821
    I have noticed that there are more scratched or marked discs.

I got series 6 of star trek TNG from play. It was sealed but still had minor scratches on 3 of the 7 discs. I noticed the manufacturing plant was Technicolor, I believe there is some quality control issues at that place. A lot of their discs are now not playing properly on players. It started with The terminator and SOTL but there are many other discs affected.

4. Barney McGrew

Barney McGrew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must be very lucky as I have never had a disc that won't play. I don't know whether any of my discs are scratched as wouldn't check for such a thing unless they didn't play.

5. Mr Rumpling

Mr Rumpling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't say I've ever come across a scratched disc in my collection either - at least not unless it's one I tried cleaning.

6. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I only had a problem with Simpsons season2.
    got the DVD from play opened it and on one of the disc there was some glue. the picture started pixellating and eventually the player froze. A bit of cleaning was enough to remove it. That should happen on a 32quid set.

7. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have worked as a Quality Manager for "World class" companies involved in the manufacture of tape, floppy disks, CDs, DVDs and related hardware and am very aware of the fact that over a period of time quality of what is supplied to the end user begins to reduce (this is especially true in the case of US multinationals ... because maintaining the value of their stock is more important than anything else and they are under huge pressure to increase their margins). Often the reduction in media quality is offset to some extent by improvements in the associated hardware so when the quality of the media type begins to drop consumers with older machines are the ones who will first encounter problems.

8. Logo Hater

Logo Hater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Surely the answer is to keep rejecting them, until such times as the manufacturers get the message.

I cannot claim to have noticed this, but I have never had one that wouldn't play, so I tend not to examine them minutely, but I will in future.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

9. zeroluck

zeroluck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WOH!! I had the exact same problem with LOTR Extended Edition as well. In the end, after two exchanges at my local HMV, I said to hell with it, and got a refund. Bought one from Streetsonline, and disc 1 is STILL scratched!!! I've gave up and will sell it on eBay and buy another copy in a few months (as there are other dvds I want to get). BTW, I've had the same problems with Band Of Brothers, Bloody Sunday and most recently One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest SE. I've exchanges OFOTCN:SE two times now, and each copy disc 1 is sitting loose from it's holder free to be scratched against the plastic packaging!!!

It's not just scratches I've noticed, it's also FINGERPRINTS!!! I hate them!!! I've noticed that when you play a dvd anyway, if you look closely, you can see these tiny "dust-like" marks. They're not dust, just marks, that don't come off. I don't think DVD's are manufactured to as good as standard as compact discs.