Quality CCTV help

tract0rb0y

Hi all.
In the process of a new build and i want to add CCTV.
What i am looking for -

4x High Quality Cameras(maybe upto 6)
DVR Recorder
Watch all 4 cameras on my TV via RF
and the ability to watch over the net (ip cameras?)

Can anyone recomend any sites or info on this and is it possible?
Im really looking fo rnice quality images.

Thanks

Jason Bourne

Hi all.
In the process of a new build and i want to add CCTV.
What i am looking for -

4x High Quality Cameras(maybe upto 6)
DVR Recorder
Watch all 4 cameras on my TV via RF
and the ability to watch over the net (ip cameras?)

Can anyone recomend any sites or info on this and is it possible?
Im really looking fo rnice quality images.

Thanks

If you want to go down the PC DVR route, have a look at Geovision. I've had a couple of their cards over the years and they are pretty reliable (if you follow their advise on PC spec).
I've currently got a GV-1240 card. 8 cameras in, RF out to a modulator for the TV's round the house, and the facility to stream video over the net.

Further reading :smashin:

Digital Video Surveillance System V GeoVision Inc.

Geovision Digital Surveillance systems and CCTV cameras - Ezcctv

CCTV cameras

S

Spendo

Hello

Theres a company called Sayoro i think that maybe worth a look at

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
most DVR's have ethernet for remote viewing these days some via secure server some via your own VPN. IP cams are great but not easy to view on TV's via RF in fact RF distribution is rarely used these days its cheaper than video distribution but we often install CCTV as part of larger systems which take care of the CCTV distribution you get what you pay for with CCTV night time performance is often the critical feature missing from cheaper cams. Also the ability to easily access and replay events.

tract0rb0y

most DVR's have ethernet for remote viewing these days some via secure server some via your own VPN. IP cams are great but not easy to view on TV's via RF in fact RF distribution is rarely used these days its cheaper than video distribution but we often install CCTV as part of larger systems which take care of the CCTV distribution you get what you pay for with CCTV night time performance is often the critical feature missing from cheaper cams. Also the ability to easily access and replay events.

Hi,
Can you reccomend any makes of DVR that have the ability to watch over the net?
I can use a rf modulator to feed the signal into the tv distribution system, i know its never going to be great but its just handy.

Cheers

D4RK1

Hi,
Can you reccomend any makes of DVR that have the ability to watch over the net?
I can use a rf modulator to feed the signal into the tv distribution system, i know its never going to be great but its just handy.

Cheers

Honeywell are very reliable and priced reasonably too. If you have lots of money go for a dedicated micros DS2.
For your outdoor day nights go for some vantage IR domes.

chrisyboy

Standard Member
im trying to achieve something similiar to what your after.

I have a cctv recorder in the garage, which outputs coax into a video sender which works on 5ghz so not to interfere with the wireless round my house.
The receiver end plugs onto a rf modulator which in turn is going to be connected to a loftbox so to distrubute to 4 tvs around the house.

Problem is i havent got any F connectots at the moment. Also not entirely sure whether this is going to work but i thought it would be fun to try.

Anyone got any other ideas on how to achieve this???

rickyt

How about the old style Video Senders , I have three of them from years ago , 12v systems that take an audio and video input and will beam it to any TV arial or anything that has a tuner , old sat system or video recorder or TV .They were ilegal a long time ago but I believe that was relaxed .With a TV card in your PC and a ariel in the socket ,you would be able to pickup the signal .An indoor arial is all thats needed.With the advent of Freeview nobody uses the in built tuners anymore .

Jeroen1000

I've read enough about this to realise I need professional help here:). I see hornydragon is an advertiser here and my question is directed towards him. Could you assist and quote me for my setup? I'd prefer handling this privately if you do not mind?

cheers,

Jeroen

Jeroen1000

thanks, one of the more user friendly website I've been on. One thing surprises me a great deal. Megapixels is the same as resolution right? Why is it so low? Even the high end sets seem to be less than 1 megapixel.

edit: I should rephrase this as: why is this so low with analogue CCTV camera's. Only IP camera's seem to offer a good resolution...

Last edited:

rickyt

I've read enough about this to realise I need professional help here:)

Jeroen

What are you trying to say ?

Were all professionals on here , my 1950's valve TV with an coat hanger for an arial gives superb results with the sender and I have a state of the art 'Betamax' recorder to capture the images . If you need any professional help .just ask :)

Jeroen1000

Perhaps I worded it a little clumsy. I'm looking for someone to give me advice and then supply me with all the bits and pieces I need:).

This is how far I've gotten: Our driveway is rectangular and measures 6,05 metres wide by 16,80 metres long. Actually it's more like 3,25 by 16,80 but (when facing the street) there is a patch which is 2,80 metres wide beginning at metre 9 until metre 16,80 where one of our cars is parked. I've uploaded a drawing here:

• The blue filled circle is where I want to put 2 camera's: one should keep an eye out for the green parking spot area beginning at metre 9 and, if possible, the entire width (6,05 metres) of the drive way. Identifying potential car vandals is at the top of the list here even at night.
  • The second one will be aimed alongside our main door and should not reach further than 9 metres. So basically, it shouldn't record what the parking spot camera is already recording.
I like the resolution IP camera's provide but they seem a tad expensive. I don't like the composite feed from analogue camera's but perhaps it is possbible to use S-video or even component? In any case apart from mains the video signal has to be transported wireless or by using existing mains cabling.

Recording will be done on a computer and will be archived to a 2 disk NAS station (1 terabyte disk space). I'm aiming to keep the recordings for one month.
I have no clue as to which capture card to use. I'm also don't know about the software.

If I forgot some details, please feel free to ask!

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
I've read enough about this to realise I need professional help here:). I see hornydragon is an advertiser here and my question is directed towards him. Could you assist and quote me for my setup? I'd prefer handling this privately if you do not mind?

cheers,

Jeroen

Hi Jeroen you can contact me via the link in my signature. I understand your preference to discuss this matter privately.

However for reliability and security i would reconmend dedicated cabling be installed whether you wish to go for IP cameras or High res analogue cams and IP converter

Last edited:

Jeroen1000

A massive clunk of text is in your mailbox:D

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
I would recommend you look at the Panasonic range of IP cameras...

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/1984745/module/general/compare/productsCategory.html

POE (Power Over Ethernet), PTZ options (pan tilt zoom) and if I recall correctly they have some neat little web-browser type software and even back up images to memory sticks/cards.

Home Use
http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_...al/compare/productsCategory.html#anker_290359

Business Use
http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_...al/compare/productsCategory.html#anker_290449

Software
http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_...ories+/BB-HNP15CE/Overview/1485982/index.html

Last edited:

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
Panasonic, Sony and Axis Pro IP cams are very good but not cheap! there are also several software solutions for recording and monitoring.

Jeroen1000

YOu weren't joking :eek: I'll reply to you over the weekend if thats ok :thumbsup:
No problem:D. Expressing things in English is harder for me than in Dutch so I just wanted to be super clear. But we all agree here we love to shop in England. Service is waaaaaaay better!

I've looked at serveral 'quality' solutions. It's between quotations because I'm unable to see through marketed spec's and choose the camera that suits me best.

I'm doubting between Watec, Panasonic, Samsung, Axis, Bosch, Mobotix, Extreme CCTV, Sanyo, Genie and JVC. I'm sure I missed a few top brand names like perhaps Sony.

All top brands I'm sure but I primarily need superb nightvision. Lux values are often just marketing and I think B/W perform better than colour camera's at night. I saw a demo of a 900 euro Mobotix 3 MP camera which honestly was rubbish at night! Really appreciate all the help:)

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
I think B/W perform better than colour camera's at night.

Correct - why not try thermal imaging ( :D ) joke!

The reason I mentioned the Panasonic range is they just look "user friendly" for home use, although I must admit I have not used them myself, I do know that a certain supermarket uses some of the low end Panny cameras above their tills.

If ever I plan to install a system then I think I will go down this route.

Good luck.

Jeroen1000

One thing has me baffled really. Why does a 500 euro camera use coax cable to transfer colour information.
Really, if there is one thing I learned on the forums is: composite signals are well, crap. At least use S-video or better yet RGB or YPbPr.
I know outdoor use may require this but there isn't even the option for indoor use.

D4RK1

Coax is more than fine for the job though. Thats what your sky box uses to get its picture down from the dish.

Its also what every company across the country uses for most installs my good man.

gummyabc

Standard Member
Dont always go for the brand name cameras, look for the model and make of the video chip. Sony and samsung are usually good.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone