• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Quality Camcorder for Music Vids etc.

vinegar8

Standard Member
Hi i am a musician and am looking at buying a camcorder to film music vids and some short films. I have a low budget and am looking into an older dv camera second hand to allow me better quality for a reasonable price. I will be editing on a g4 powerbook in imovie hd to start off with.
Sound is not too important as i will record it seperately but would be handy to have an external mic in. SD is fine. Can anyone help me out with some ideas? Is it worth saving for something like an XL1 or should I just take the plunge and get an older consumer camcorder like dcr pc100 for example. Is mini dv the best choice. I just dont want that cheap video type look.

martyxke

Standard Member
Hi
If you don't want to go the HD route I would thoroughly recommend the Sony VX2100. I have used one for a good few years and still cant believe the quality it can produce. The low light images are simply stunning for a standard def cam, which if you want to be creative will give you much more scope. It has a big brother the PD170 which has XLR connections should you wish to record with quality mics. Hope this helps
Marty

mmace

I shot a music video at the start of the year with only a Sony SR10.
It was well lit and after colour grading it etc in Premiere you cannot tell what sort of camera was used.

Whatever you do, make sure it's lit well and it will make it a million times better.

vinegar8

Standard Member
Thanks guys for your great input. i would love to go and grab a vx2100 or a sony sr10 for that matter but I just don't have the cash right now. I haven't really had a lot of experience either. I took into consideration the lighting/setup argument and think you can do a lot with a bit of creativity. I been looking round for second hand similar to the sr10 but a few yrs older. Found a Panasonic NV-GS200 for NZ350. Do you think this might be Ok to at least get started till I afford something better?

martyxke

Standard Member
The Panasonic has 3 imaging chips ( 3ccd ) so is capable of some very good results. I know in its day it was a well regarded cam, so you could do a lot worse than going for a used example.
Marty

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom