QualiTV & Sammy (A big disappointment)

hornydragon said:
problem is Europe (the whole continent) has one TV station at 1080i and no prerecorded media legally available!!!!!

Isn't your Sky supposed to be introducing HD by next year? I would think much of the programming, at least initially, will come from America, Australia maybe. The material is there.

Yes, the material is there, but only the technically-minded early adopters are able to get at it (either by illegally downloading it, or importing DVHS machines and tapes from the States). Euro1080 is still in its infancy, and is likely to get overtaken by Sky (if) they start broadcasting HD like they have promised in 2006.

I'm sorry, but you really don't know the European TV market. By the time the mass market realises it wants HDTV sets (i.e. when Sky starts to market it to them), there really won't be a CRT market in Europe, let alone an HD one. One crucial factor you are forgetting is the size of European homes compared with yours on the other side of the pond. TV size really is important here, and less (depth) is most definitely more.

The market for 720 capable LCD TVs is really starting to take off now - and that's just people buying them for normal TV and DVD.

simoncope said:
Yes, the material is there, but only the technically-minded early adopters are able to get at it (either by illegally downloading it, or importing DVHS machines and tapes from the States). Euro1080 is still in its infancy, and is likely to get overtaken by Sky (if) they start broadcasting HD like they have promised in 2006.

I'm sorry, but you really don't know the European TV market. By the time the mass market realises it wants HDTV sets (i.e. when Sky starts to market it to them), there really won't be a CRT market in Europe, let alone an HD one. One crucial factor you are forgetting is the size of European homes compared with yours on the other side of the pond. TV size really is important here, and less (depth) is most definitely more.

The market for 720 capable LCD TVs is really starting to take off now - and that's just people buying them for normal TV and DVD.

So you are sceptical that HD will even take off, at least in the UK? Personally, I think it will take off in the UK like no other place in Europe simply because of the American connection, both commercial and cultural, that the UK has.

And, like I mentioned, when that does happen do you think the average consumer, the one that truely fuels growth of most markets, is going to be able to afford 1920x1080 plasmas and LCDs? Sure, you can buy a 720 LCD display but what's the point if you can't view 1080 material? Besides, most of the current LCD displays are lousy showing HD material. In most cases I'd say beyond lousy.

Affordability will eventually happen with such products but I don't think within a year or so. CRT would be the way to go and CRT HD displays are no bigger than a current CRTs that most Europeans already have.

No, I am not sceptical that HD will take off in the UK - where do I say that? I am sceptical of anything that Sky promises, but that is natural for most people in the UK :laugh:

You're missing the main point that I am making - there won't be any manufacturers prepared to make HD CRT sets for Europe. They are all winding down production. Sharp (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) recently closed a CRT plant in Wales, Loewe has all but announced that they will stop producing CRT inside 2 years etc etc.

The price drop in LCD TV is a lot nearer than people think, and it is going to be a biggie. The main manufacturers are all switching over to LCD production, and it won't be long before the lower costs associated with mass production mean lower retail prices.

The JVC HV32D40 is a 32" widescreen direct view CRT widely available in the UK. It support 1080i input via component. There is also 28" version, and an older model available at 36".

Unfortunatly I haven't seen 1080i input in action on these, so cannot say whether they offer an advantage over PAL progressive (576p) sets.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but a lot of US direct view CRT HDTVs that scan 1080i don't offer a very fine dot pitch, so would not resolve the full 1920x1080i. A LCD panel at 1280x768, displaying a decently scaled HD image would resolve just as much detail. Though there are sony TVs that do have a decent dot pitch, which would resolve more detail.

simoncope said:
No, I am not sceptical that HD will take off in the UK - where do I say that? I am sceptical of anything that Sky promises, but that is natural for most people in the UK :laugh:

You said "there really won't be a CRT market in Europe, let alone an HD one" so there seems to be some scepticism there.

simoncope said:
You're missing the main point that I am making - there won't be any manufacturers prepared to make HD CRT sets for Europe. They are all winding down production. Sharp (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) recently closed a CRT plant in Wales, Loewe has all but announced that they will stop producing CRT inside 2 years etc etc.

Why do you feel the TVs need to be built in Europe?

simoncope said:
The price drop in LCD TV is a lot nearer than people think, and it is going to be a biggie. The main manufacturers are all switching over to LCD production, and it won't be long before the lower costs associated with mass production mean lower retail prices.

How much do you think 1920x1080 LCD screens, of a decent size, will go for in a year or so? Do you think the average person will be able to afford them?

NinjaShredder said:
Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but a lot of US direct view CRT HDTVs that scan 1080i don't offer a very fine dot pitch, so would not resolve the full 1920x1080i. A LCD panel at 1280x768, displaying a decently scaled HD image would resolve just as much detail. Though there are sony TVs that do have a decent dot pitch, which would resolve more detail.

How fine that pitch is, whether aperture grill or shadow mask depends on the particular TV. The cheapest Samsungs look horrific in that respect. The Sony you mentioned is their XBR series with a fine pitch aperture grill and the image quality is suposedly the best of the CRTs. Still, I have seen many other HD sets with image quality not too far off the Sony, certainly much better than any HD LCD I've seen.

Of all the better LCDs available near me I have yet to see one match an HD CRT or Plasma for image quality. The difference is obvious. All the current HD LCDs I've seen cause the images to look soft.

Abit said:
You said "there really won't be a CRT market in Europe, let alone an HD one" so there seems to be some scepticism there.

Why do you feel the TVs need to be built in Europe?

How much do you think 1920x1080 LCD screens, of a decent size, will go for in a year or so? Do you think the average person will be able to afford them?

You're really hard work, you know that?? ;)

1) My scepticism is for the CRT market in general, NOT HD taking off in Europe. Let me make my original post a little clearer: "there really won't be a CRT market in Europe, let alone an HD CRT one" You appear to be reading my posts and then taking them to mean something else that fits your own agenda.

2) Where do I say that the sets need to be built in Europe?

3) The price of 1920x1080 LCD sets in Europe in a year's time is irrelevant, as we still won't have reached the HD mass market by then. The only people buying them in a year's time will be the early adopters. Mass market demand for 1920x1080 LCD TVs won't be reached until at least 2007 (1 year after Sky start broadcasting HD - at the earliest).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom