1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Qualitv Box and 1080i

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Hellicopter, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Hellicopter

Hellicopter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Noticed last night that , although the instructions state that the Qualitv box via DVI only outputs 720p , it will in fact output the Astra HD channnel in 1080i.Can anyone explain this?
    On my Sagem , I slightly prefer 1080i to 720p.

2. GMeijer

GMeijer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Helicopter,
    At the start of production we had not sufficient displays that had DVI + 1080i support. The DVI out does indeed support 1080i and the user manual is being addapted. Which model of Sagem do you have?

3. Hellicopter

Hellicopter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It is good to see you posting on this forum.

I have the Sagem Axium 50" DLP which has been available in Europe since last year but has only recently come to the UK.
    Reference my previous post regarding your HD set top sat box the following describes how the box outputs are currently performing on the Sagem.

ASTRA HD Demo Channel

720p and 1080i are successful into DVI , Component and VGA inputs.In addition 480p is successful into the component input.
    In summary , good performance.

EURO 1080 channel

720p into DVI successful.
    1080i into DVI no picture.
    576p into component successful.
    720p into component and VGA inputs produces a picture which is only two thirds of the necessary width i.e. one third is black.
    1080i into component and VGA is as 720p but with a further distortion at the bottom of the picture.

The Sagem performs normally when fed a Region 1 or 2 DVD picture into all 3
    of these inputs.

So overall there appears to be a problem with the box when passing a Euro 1080 picture.I am aware of another box user experiencing similar problems.

I very much look forward to your comments and suggestions and whether this is a software problem.

Thanks

Alan

4. Muf

Muf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Apologies for butting in Alan and GMeijer, the Astra HD transmission is 29.97 fps which is compatible with the US and Japanese systems whereas Euro1080 is 25 fps. My guess is that the chip set's that make up these boxes are primarily designed for 29.97 fps with 25 fps being an after thought so you will probably have to wait for a firmware update to get 1080 at 25 fps. Alan how much better was the Astra picture in 1080 over 720? BTW do you notice any glitch in the picture on Astra HD for instance when the scene changes from Paris to the Balloon sequence? There seems to be a flaw in the editing which causes some problems on the PC.

Jim

5. GMeijer

GMeijer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Helicopter,
    I had about the same results here. The problem is the software in the Axium display, which has some problems handling 50Hz HDTV signals. We have a range of screens that do properly work with the 50Hz Euro1080 signal. The Sagem has two component inputs. On the unit we tested, we found different results on the 2 component inputs. AV7 worked on 1080i, 50Hz whilst on AV6 there was a timing problem.

6. Hellicopter

Hellicopter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Jim-Thanks for the input.The difference between 720p and 1080i was very slight.1080i was just a tad tighter.

On the edit point of the Astra demo loop , a slight pixellation seems to occur between edits.This used to happen on the previous demo loop when it switched to the 'wooden soldier' sequence .I suspect this is actually encoded rather than it being a reaction by my box or your pc.

7. Hellicopter

Hellicopter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    GMeijer - Thanks for this.I guess I will have to talk to Sagem UK about this , though they will rely on the French to do something about it.
    Presumably the same problem will occcur on the Hotbird demo channel.Not had chance yet to watch this one as it went off air again as I got in on Friday evening.

By the way, many thanks for developing and pioneering with your box . Am enjoying using it.

Alan

8. Hellicopter

Hellicopter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Some further info re the 1080i problem on the Sagem.
    I have a Liteon DVD player which is multi region and capable of pushing out both 720p and 1080i through the component output.
    Both Region 1 and Region 2 DVDs play OK on the Sagem into AV7 although the 1080i playout is jerky.
    Does this indicate that the Euro 1080 50hz problem is the sat box rather than the Sagem?

GMeijer - Would appreciate your comments.
    Thanks in advance
    Alan

9. GMeijer

GMeijer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Helicopter,
    AV 7 is the component input which in my test worked fine with 1080i resolution for 50Hz (Euro1080) and 60Hz (Astra HD) channels. To get component (AV7)50 Hz working, the software had to be upgraded to: Sagem software version: 0049-HD, formatter 13, frontpanel 23.
    I had no replies yet the fixes for the DVI input. I guess it is holiday season.
    BR GM

10. Hellicopter

Hellicopter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    GMeijer - Many thanks.Two questions inevitably .How do I check what software I currently have and how did you carry out the upgrade?
    Hope you get somewhere with DVI.
    Alan