1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Qualia 004 at upcoming Manchester hi-fi show

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Ikklepip, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Ikklepip

Ikklepip
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All,

This is my very first post to this forum. As a newbie I would like to apologize if the following info has already been given somewhere else on the forum!

Here is an extract from the SHOW NEWS section of the Manchester Hi-Fi Show due this 29-30 October (http://www.home-entertainment-show.co.uk/news.html)

"First ever showing of the exclusive Qualia Projector by SONY, claimed to be the ultimate in image reproduction, it will be demonstrated with timed demonstrations throughout the two days. Make sure you collect your special viewing ticket in the ballroom area where SONY has their full range of LCD screens, AV products and their latest Network Walkmans"

The Ruby may be demonstrated too, but this has NOT been confirmed.

Cheers,

Ikklepip :)

p.s. Sim2 have been there for the past few years and I'm guessing the C3X will be demoed with HD from their UVEM PC, as usual.

p.p.s. I can't seem to change the mistake in the thread title - should be Manchester and not anchester - I've tried changing it using the edit function, but it hasn't updated - please help??!!!!

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    Welcome to the forums and thanks for the link - interesting!...PJ :)

3. Ikklepip

Ikklepip
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks PJ! :thumbsup: It's nice that someone cares! sob sob! lol

Hi All,

Living near Manchester, I've attended the Manchester Hi-Fi Show for the past 3 or 4 years. Although the majority of the show is hi-fi based, there are quite a growing number of home cinema manufacturers exhibiting projectors, processors and speakers. I'll run through a list of the best exhibitors (in no particular order) and what they're likely to demo, based on my past experience.

Denon

Roger Batchelor and the guys from Denon give a really good presentation. One year they had 2 Barco 1209's (from B4 Projection) throwing up a beautiful 12-ish ft picture, backed up by a Snell & Wilcox Interpolator Gold and a top of the range Denon DVD-A1 DVD player. This was topped off with the AVC-A1 processor and KEF THX speaker package - I didn't want to leave the room! LOL.

Last year their demo was done with a Digital Projection Mercury HD projector, various Denon components and KEF Reference Speakers. I suspect we might get to see the mighty AVC-A1XV / DVD-A1XV combo in action - fingers crossed. I do hope they go back to stacked CRT's, but I understand why they switched - 400lbs+ of projector and a days setup must have been a pain in the arse.

Sony

Last year they demoed Blu-ray on a VPL-HS50, which I thought was a little disappointing given they could have used a Qualia 004 (or even a G90). I mentioned it to a member of staff and it must have had an effect because this year they're using a 004 instead - can't wait!!!!!!

They also demonstrated the TA-DA9000ES with some huge floorstanders that they co-developed with Telarc (I think). They had an interesting demo where they showed the difference side by side (split screen) of DVD and Blu-ray using a segment from Lawrence of Arabia. There didn't seem to be as much of a difference as I had anticipated, but this could be due to the projector.

By next month they may have a Ruby available for demo too, so that will be interesting. Ruby vs C3X.....ding ding....round one....

Marantz

They had a VP12S4 demoing various clips like the Empire Strikes Back and Harry Potter. It was okay, but with the introduction of SIM2's C3X, who's going to want to pay £2000 more for rainbows. The big, ugly VP10S1 also seems WAY overpriced given the introduction of the C3X too!

SIM2

Sim2 always produce a top quality demonstration, albeit in one of the smaller rooms. They've set it up in such a way that you can compare the HT300E to the likes of numerous Domino series models. Plus, they demo lots of HD like Bikini Destinations ( :thumbsup: ) , IMAX documentaries and the like - very impressive.

They also demoed their 3 chipper - the HT500. However, it wouldn't really fit in their room, so they teamed up with Mission and had it setup on the ground floor. I sat on the settee and watched clips from Eric Clapton, The Shawshank Redemption and Standing In The Shadows Of Motown etc. The screen was something like 12 or 14 feet wide and it looked really, really good.

This year they're bound to show the C3X which if as good as the HT500 will be unbelievable value at £11,000. I still can't afford it, but one can dream! :)

Full marks to their man Alan too (I think!) - he knows what he's on about and managed to answer every question I threw at him.

Others

There were various other manufacturers (or their distributors) demonstrating like Screenplay, Optoma, Hitachi etc but I spent most of time at the above demos, so I can't really write about them.

If you're in the market for a FPD - Plasma, LCD etc, then there's also a pretty big ballroom demoing from the likes of Fujitsu, Pioneer, Panasonic etc.

I was really impressed with the Fujitsu stand as they were showing HD from their movie server - although the hi-def football was as blocky as hell.

-----------------------------------------

If you live quite near to Manchester, it's well worth a visit, but I wouldn't recommend travelling more than 30-40 miles for it - it's definitely no CEDIA!!!! LOL

If you're thinking of popping along and have any questions, then please leave a post and I'll try and get back to you.

Cheers,

Ikklepip :)

p.s. The link for the show is - http://www.home-entertainment-show.co.uk

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome Ikklepip.

I've fixed the thread title for you.

:smoke:

5. akcampbell

akcampbell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Icklepip. I thought the C3X lite was unbelievable value at £11,000 while the Screenplay SP777 was still £20,000. But now the 1080P Ruby is rumoured to be retailing at £8,000 or less and the SP777 has been slashed to £10,000, the C3X in lower light output form looks overpriced to me. In the US the SP777 has 3 HD2+ DC3 chips, 5,000:1 contrast, and is only $15,000. Rip-off Britain gets the old HD2 chip stock with 3,000:1 contrast at a higher price. If I was looking to buy in 2-3 months time I'd get a Ruby, Crystalio II video processor, and a Da-lite High Power 2.3 gain screen. That whole combo wouldn't cost much more than the C3X lite and it's future-proofed for Blu-Ray and Playstation 3 1080P. I think 3 chip 720p DLP prices will fall to £6,000-£8,000 when one and three chip 1080P DLP arrives. If I had to have the extra punch of DLP I'd wait for the excellent C3X design with 1080P chips. Sony will probably have a brighter Ruby by then so if SIM2 price it much above £10,000-£12,000 they won't sell many and will go down the same plug hole financially as Infocus looks to be going down at the moment.