Quake Users Help!

S

S9MUN

Hi guys, I've just taken delivery of a cherry rel and I could do with a little bit of guidance regarding ideal set ups. I'm a completely new convert to subs anyway but after audtioning I've realised the width/depth of sound I was missing from my 5.1. I've only connected through a low level phono as I wont be using the sub for 2 channel stuff.

Can I confirm a couple of things?

with the low level connection only connected I have bypassed the Hi level circuit? Nothing seems to happen when I tinker with it. Does that also apply to the roll off circuit as well (I'm guessing that only comes into play if i connect to the high level circuit?) And with the mode switch have I got it right set on the No. 2 setting? (Ie accepting the input directly from the DVD?

In using it I tell you what I did find - playing U-571 on Dts at 45% volume the depth charges were suficiently heavy and deep enough for me not to think about where the sound came from. However playing the titles on Toy Story 2 at the same level and it was so loud that it was really boomy an had me reaching over to turn it straight down. Just so that you know I'm running Quad 21l floorstanders at the front and have my speaker settings to large.

Do I really need to keep altering the volume control for the sub for each movie or do some films vary according to depth depending on how they're mixed. Sorry for this guys but I didnt realise that subs needed this much thought or tweaking. DOH!!

cheers to you all

regards

Stu

(and before anyone mentions it - yes I had thought of the MJ Pro 50 ;-) )

Which amp are you using ? Once the sub is setup (position 2 and for me about 30% volume) use the amp to adjust sub levels and crossover (80hz) - set speakers to small to avoid some boom and if possible secure a paving slab to bottom and top of sub with blu tak.

good luck

Cheers for that Shane,

I'm running the Sony all Strva555es amp - so you reckon I should set my speakers to small and my crossover at about 80hz on the amp? At 30% volume do you find the sub loud enough on most films?

stu

Yes to small and 80 - you may find the sony automatically puts the crossover at 80 once small is selected. Volume is fine for me (room 11m x 7m) and was set using a sound meter

Cheers

Originally posted by S9MUN

In using it I tell you what I did find - playing U-571 on Dts at 45% volume the depth charges were suficiently heavy and deep enough for me not to think about where the sound came from. However playing the titles on Toy Story 2 at the same level and it was so loud that it was really boomy an had me reaching over to turn it straight down. Just so that you know I'm running Quad 21l floorstanders at the front and have my speaker settings to large.

Do I really need to keep altering the volume control for the sub for each movie or do some films vary according to depth depending on how they're mixed. Sorry for this guys but I didnt realise that subs needed this much thought or tweaking. DOH!!

cheers to you all

regards

Stu

Try setting the speakers to small and directing the bass to the sub, should notice a difference.

It takes a bit of time to set the sub up positioning/volume to get good results, try a disc that you know well, set the sub so it gives the desired affect and doesn't take over the sound, it is there to complement the system. Toy Story 2 seems to be a good one to start with then try U571, set it so both sound as good as one another. I find if you set it up realistically there's hardly any need to mess with the settings. If you are one that likes a ton of bass then I feel you will be adjusting the settings more often then not, but this is easily done via the amps bass management system. ;)

I've heard alot of objective and not so objective discussions about the Quakes here but thanks to some good advice I feel I have a very good setup with my little box. I think if I was single I would have perhaps got a Q150e but being all black it didnt fit into my room particularly well. What about other Quake owners out there - happy? do you find that your satisified with what you have - for such tiny dimensions you really cant gruble and as with others like myself who have to compromise - in everyday terms I think its spot on!!

Stu

Hi Stu,

I had a listen to the Quake at the weekend in Manchester, I was quite impressed considering some of the negative reviews I've heard. Which other sub's did you compare before buying, I've been considering the following:

Rel Quake
Rel Q150e
MJA Pro 50
B&W ASW600
also considering M&K but there a bit over my budget.

I've not seen any reviews of the B&W yet, but as the rest of my speakers are by B&W (602.5s3 L+R, LCR 60s3 CTR & 601s3 Surr), it's definately on my list.

I'd also be interested to hear from anyone else running a similar set up to me, to see which subs integrate well. (By the way my amp is a Denon 3802).

Cheers,
Ian

Hi Ian,

I tested a Q150e which was good but I new all along that I was going to struggle with it in my living room. My test was between the MJ Pro 50 and the Rel and both were very good. In hindsight I think I plumped for the Rel more based on the history of what they do. (A mate of mine joked that he couldnt possibly by something made in Wisbech, Cambs!) I used to live down the road and lets just say that the in joke was finding the Mj with 2 drivers fused together and lop sided feet! Not as objective as you might want to hear but these guys here have helped me set it up just perfect. Its fiddly to get right but when you do - you'll have no regrets

Hope this is helpful mate,

from Stu
Northampton (non interbred ;-) )

Hi,

i'm new to these forums but I was hoping someone could answer a question.

I have a Denon 3802 and Keff eggs speakers. I was thinking of upgrading the sub for possibly a Quake, CHT-10 or PRO 50.

The quake has options to run High and low level signals each having it's own volume setting. Could I use the same front speakers with the high and low inputs (ie. High input for stereo music and low input for 5.1).

yes

The Quake does not come with the high level lead as standard so add another £20 to your budget

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom