1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quake Setup Help?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by PaulBoy, Mar 17, 2004.

1. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I just lashed out on a Quake & spent the whole afternoon trying to set it up ... Is it me or is the instruction manual not very clear!
    I mean they talk about changing settings but dont tell you clearly which setting to change!
    I feel that based on the sound I am now getting that I have it set up about right (using it with 6x Kef "eggs" & a Denon 3801 btw) but wonder if anyone can offer any advice or point me in the direction of a web site that might help explain how to set up a Quake better than the REL "manual" ...
    TIA ... Paul ;)
    PS I bought a silver one (OK I'm a cheapskate - but nearly all my other AV stuff is silver!) If anyone wants to see a silver one (as I did recently but couldnt find anyone with one) I could be persuaded to get my box brownie out!

2. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    not sure if you have seen this article on REL's site, should be useful.

Setup for Q

Basically, I would site it in the corner of your room at the opposite end from your listening position, probably near to your main speakers. Set it to mode 2 with the volume set to 0. Now play a CD with some known bass content. Bring up the quake. Switch between modes 2 and 4 and this should make it clear which phase setting is correct, whichever generates most bass. Now select mode 1 (if 2 was correct) or 3 (if 4 was correct) and adjust the crossover until the Quake integrates with your main speakers. You should aim for a point where the Quake meets the frequency the mains stop producing bass. Set the xover too low and there will be a hole in the bass, too high and there will be duplication resulting in too much bass. Oh, and unless you prefer Slam mode, stick to depth mode. It allows the Quake to produce the lowest bass notes. Slam is really just that.

3. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Chris - Thanks for your post which is most helpful
    I understand the Mode selection (1,2,3,4)
    When you speak of Crossover is that "Roll off control" (Switch 2 on the Quake ?)
    I am only using it connected to my Denon via single phono (if that makes any difference)
    The supplied phono seems very "lightweight" I presume a better one would be desirable ?
    Thanks again ... Paul ;)

4. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    yes, thats it. yep, single phono to Denon sounds about right. well, the cable debate is a subjective one - some argue it makes no difference, some swear by expensive interconnects. I would suggest you decide for yourself. I would argue that its less important for a sub than for a pre-amp to a power amp for example.

another important thing in your setup is what how you configure your other speakers. large/small. I'm not familiar with the Eggs, but I have a feeling they are pretty smallish speakers? In which case you should configure all your speakers on the Denon to be small. then all bass below 80hz (or whatever is setup on the Denon) will be sent out for the Quake to deliver. Theoretically, if this is the case, then the rolloff control on the Quake will be fairly redundant (as the Denon is taking care of what bass goes where) - you might find best results are using Modes 2 or 4 which will not use the Quakes filter. If your room starts to sound boomy, you might try Modes 1 and 3 again and rotate the rolloff control counterclockwise until the boom disappears. Alternatively you might try relocating the Quake somewhere else in the room. Then you should have a nicely integrated system that brings a moderately large smile to your face :D

5. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Chris - thanks again - yes the "eggs" are small metal satelite type speakers (but ideal for my small lounge!)
    I have the Denon setup with all speakers set to small & hopefully following your instructions above have tuned the Quake in nicely now ... you were right about the smile too!
    Cheers - Paul ;)
    PS I would still value other comments from Quake / Egg users

6. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alot of people have found a huge improvement by buying the Neutrix cable for their quake and connecting up the hi level input aswell, this only works on non Dolby digital and DTS when sub is set to LFE position but for music and TV movies on Line position it gives an excellent improvement.
    If you do this setup Lo level as suggested
    unplug phono lead
    setup hi level in similar way to lo level
    plug phono lead back in
    Sit back and listen

7. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    bobbypunk - that sounds interesting - i noticed mention of the Neutrix cable connection in the REL manual but assumed it was for audiophile types with expensive stereo setups - would my meagre Denon / Egg setup achieve this huge improvement and if so how is the Neutrix cable connected to the Denon ?
    Thanks again ... Paul ;)

8. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    The high level cable avoids internal (possibly digital) filters affecting the sound quality of your music. Richard Lord of REL strongly believes that unnecessary analogue/ digital <conversion> spoils the sound quality of music.

Having high and low level connections to your REL sub allows the best of both worlds. An all digital low level chain with sub/main speaker filtration and LFE output directed to the sub for films.

And a high level analogue music chain without filters except on the sub's (upper) cut-off point.

The final sound quality will always depend on your speakers as well of course. On high level connections they play full range without any filtration at all. (Best for music).

The REL will underpin the music in the bass without overlapping the bass put out by the main speakers. Provided you set the sub's cut-off point to match the main speakers in your own listening room.

Ideally an SPL meter and test tones are needed here for optimum calibration of level between the sub and main speakers. Though your ears are the best guide to whether the sound quality is okay with the sub at the SPL meter calibrated setting.

So if it sounds like too much bass on music then quite simply there is too much bass for your tastes. You can then adjust level (volume) and the sub's upper cut-off point until you are satisfied. Let your ears decide.

Nimby

9. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Nimby - Thanks for the advice - I had already emailed REL & their considered opinion (within an hour!) was that the Neutrix connection would be a good idea even in my sub/sat setup so once I find someone who sells the cable I will give it a try (hopefully the dealer who sold me the Quake will have one ?)
    Paul ;)

10. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    all rel dealers can order it @ £20 for 5m

11. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    bobbypunk - thank you - 5m eh! - what'll I do with the 3.5m I dont need!
    Paul ;)

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you can't get one easily try asking in the classifieds as all the "bigger" RELs ship with a Neutrik connector and most of them are never used

13. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Ian J - Ta muchly will pop over & try my luck ... Paul ;)