1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quake gives up on movies sometimes.

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by pwood, Mar 26, 2005.

1. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I dont listen to movies at pain level but sometimes when watching a bass heavy movie with sudden massive peaks the Quake just appears to give up and it sounds akin to the driver hitting the end stops. For instance the Incredibles and Sky Captain. Its spiked onto a heavy marble tile onto a laminate floor. Could the soundwaves being reflected of the floor have anything to do with it
    Or am I just expecting miracles from such a small box. Its great with music though and thats my main reason for buying.

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    It probably is the driver hitting the endstops. You have to remember that the Quake isn't exactly a huge piece of equipment and is bound to struggle with bass heavy scenes like those you mention.

3. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Kinda thought so.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Both The Incredibles and Sky Captain contain sections of very deep powerful bass that will be just too much for small subs. If they are played at loud levels some subs will just "bottom out" whilst others may have limiters which will be brought into play to stop them attempting to play such notes.

I watched Sky Captain last night quite loud and when the giant robots marched down the street every time they took a step it felt like someone thumping me in the chest.

5. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I thought REL had some kind of protection circuits. Would the new REL stampede cope with such deep bass or would even that struggle with SKY Captain at reasonable volume (-22db on a DENON 3802)

6. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    I would suggest you set your sights a bit higher, even the Stampede is barely breaking into the entry level subs from REL, at the end of the day you get what you pay for and personally I think far too many people underestimate the level of subwoofer they need to get the best from their room. If you are looking for a significant improvement over the Quake for movies then I wouod look at the Storm 5 and Stadium 3 from REL or one the the Velodyne DD Series of subwoofers.

7. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    PS, I just noticed you are in Scotland, if you happen to be near Edinburgh then pop in to Sevenoaks for a chat if you like, I'd be happy to demonstrate what you get for your money.

8. rovak

rovak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive been advised by some that instead of buying a bigger sub you can just add another quake to get improved depth and response is this true or just hokuum

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It's partly true as adding a second sub will improve the headroom which will also improve distortion levels too but not as much as many people think. The way to enhanced bass is normally to buy a single bigger and better sub than adding a second budget sub as a good £700 sub will give you bigger and better scale and response than a pair of Quakes.

As the original poster's requirements are mainly music I would suggest that you consider selling the Quake and replacing it with a second hand Storm.

10. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Cheers guys. The whacking the end stops thing is only noticeable on the odd newer movie and I have messed about with the placement and settings which has helped. I originally demoed the sub with U571 (you know the bit!) and there are still no problems while watching that again last night, so it seems the newer movies are coming out with more and more gain in the sub bass.

I'm currently trying to source enough dosh for one of the new HD Panasonic Plasmas so I'll just have to make do with the Quake for the time being.

Once again thanks folks.

11. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin'

Don't just look at the Velodyne DD range as the SPL mkII series is awsome aswell, or by the time you are looking for a replacement sub, after the plasma purchase, the SPL mkIII series might be out so try and get a demo of the 8" & 10" or have a listen to the MJ Acoustics Ref200.

regards