Quake 4

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Synchronicity, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    What do people think of it?

Had a brief go late last night and it seems ok,not as graphically imprssive as F.E.AR. imo and the gameplay is obviously completley different.Theres no more creeping around,peeking around corners,its run around with guns blazing taking on enemies which are charging at you by the dozen.

Im not very impressed with the AI,they just seem to charge at you shooting wildly but saying that,I have put it on the hardest setting as I do with every game and it is bloody hard,Im tempted to start it again on an easier setting tbh cos I have a feeling its going to be almost impossible as the game progresses :rolleyes:

The gameplay takes a little getting used to as well,all recent FPS' have encouraged crouching or going prone to steady your aim and be more accurate but this seems to be a big no no in quake,I suppose its just the same as the old Quake games where you have to keep moving,strafing and jumping or die horribly :suicide:

A major gripe is the sound problems,I loose sound about every 10 minutes and get a lot of distortion.In the sound settings it gives my a warning that my system doesnt support open ul or something like that and after having a quick google it seems there are some serious probs with various sound cards and the nvidia soundstorms which I am using :mad:

My verdict:Brainless fun which could be entertaining,as long as your sound works :rolleyes:

2. wormvortex

wormvortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    only played it online, graphically it is nothing compared to F.E.A.R the online play aint for everyone its simply pick a gun up and shoot. Just like Unreal, if u like your stragey sitting witha sniper or team based game CS and COD are more for u.

3. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    After playing it again tonight,it seems my initial thoughts that it was extremley difficult were exagerated,I think I just hadnt changed my style of gaming.Flying through the levels tonight without much trouble,just got to remember to keep moving,lol.

Also had no problems with the sound this time either,didnt cut out once which is weird.Have to say Im surprised how smooth it runs on my system with the settings set reasonably high,seeing as Ive only got a 9800 pro :smashin:

Enjoying it so far,not much depth to it I suppose ,just good non stop mindless strogg blasting,just dont epect anything to cerebral and you will probably enjoy it ;)

4. Baigy

Baigy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i like the game, i think the graphics look quite good, fire power is ok and aliens look good aswell.

5. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    I like Quake 4 and prefer it to its brother Doom 3. Graphics are sweet and there is loads of killing which is also sweet. :D

6. Goone

Goone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Good game,nice meaty sounding weapons aswell.

7. hillster

hillster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Just completed it. Much much better than FEAR which was hugely disappointing IMO.

Q4 is a lot better than Doom 3, really enjoyed the game, graphics and challenge. Be interesting to see how it bears up on the Xbox360

8. Tigerblade

Tigerblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +590
    MP is pretty good too, same as q3 but with far better gfx :) THREE FRAGS LEFT! YOU HAVE TAKEN THE LEAD!

9. InsertNameHere

InsertNameHere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Can anyone tell me whether it has bot support and how many multiplayer maps it ships with? Cheers.

10. Jim Pixel

Jim Pixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Q4 - Bought it 3 weeks ago, just after I bought and started playing FEAR.. Only played up to the end of the first level - up to where I was told to rejoin the rest of my team or whatever,, then concentrated on FEAR... FEAR = 9 out of 10 for overall gameplay/plot etc... Unfortunately, I had the sound bug and it nearly drove me to climb the walls... Still enjoyed it though, even if each new level was just like the last one...

Q4 - What little I played, reminded me of another recent release, with the dark rooms/passages, the burst steam pipes, the exterior scenery... DOOM3... Event though I only played for about half an hour, or so, I thought I was about to see some of the Doom3 monster coming at me... Geez, that reminds me... I installed Doom3 Ressurection of Hell and I forgot to play it.. Better get my A-I-G... Hey, wait a minute, I just bought Serious Sam 2 the other day and I am kind of having fun playing that one... But, I also just bought Call of Duty 2 and started playing that one...

Cripes, I am in a bit of a mess here... Which game..!!!

Which ever game I play, I am having fun recording it onto my Sony HX910 with the S-Video cable and audio plugged into it from the PC, then watching the replay...