1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quadscan, the right move?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Orbital, May 17, 2003.

1. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi All,

I've had my Barco Data 800 for quite a while now and I've been using my HTPC quite happily with it too. Thing is, the wife has never really gotten used to the HTPC and basically doesn't watch anything unless I'm there to switch it all on and kick the movie off.

Now I've seen a few Quadscan Pro's go through the classified section of this forum and I'm wondering if one might help usability wise so my wife could use the PJ without any worries. What are your thoughts on this? Do you think the picture quality would take a major turn for the worse? At the moment museumsteve has a Quadscan Elite HD for sale, which looks enticing?

Cheers

Dave

2. kcw

kcw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Dave.

I've taken the opposite step to what you're proposing.
    I had the Quadscan going with my NEC XG75 for about 3 months. I could never get on with - I was constantly playing with the picture adjustments because Quadscan killed so much of the detail and darkened the image considerably.
    I tried watching a dvd through my laptop out of curiosity and couldn't believe the improvement so I went out and bought n HTPC.

I'd definately get a demo on the Quadscan before buying.

Kenny

3. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Kenny,

Thanks for the reply.

This is what I thought. I don't know if I'd be better off spending some time on the front end to the HTPC and simplifying that. You know get IRman, replace the W98 desktop with a click and go shell front end etc.

Cheers

Dave

4. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Hi Dave,
    It's taken an age to do but my HCPC operation is very simple.
    My wife can operate the cinema now because i programmed my pronto into two parts, there are 2 buttons programmed, one for me & one for her, her part of the pronto is like a flow diagram i.e when you press this, does this happen etc, works very well for her.
    Talking of desktops you don't need front ends to obtain a decent desktop, mine has cursor hider to hide the ....erm...cusor:D & icon hider to hide the icons when the mouse is moved the cursor reappears & the icons reappear when i press the keyboard hotkey, a decent bit of wallpaper & a decent screensaver & away you go.
    I used win 98 for my HCPC for a long time, i now use win XP & would never go back, ghost your current config, install xp you'll not reget it.
    I had a Iscan pro for a while connected to a dvd player to evaluate, whilst the plug & play aspect was good you've been spoilt by a HCPC with regards to picture quality.
    Fanks
    Tim:smashin:
    P.S If you need any help LMK i'm always here (on the forum)

5. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cheers for that Tim.

Do you use IRMan? if you do, is it worth the effort of setting it all up?

Cheers

Dave

6. Caveat

Caveat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A simpler alternative to IR Man is to get an IR Keyboard (with mouse built in). Then you teach your learning remote (pronto in my case) the keyboard shortcuts for your DVD software etc.
    Costs about the same as an IR Man and gives you a wireless KB and Mouse into the bargain.
    You will still need Girder if you want to do more than just autorun DVD software, the girder macros get run from obscure Key-combinations again taught into the Pronto.
    Like Tim I just hide my Icons, and actually use a BBC Weathermap as my desktop background.

7. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The Quadscan is a little over the top for an 800 I would keep my eye out for a Iscan Pro.

8. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Hi Dave,
    Yes i do use an IRman & girder i find these combinations perfect, BUT girder is a bugger to learn it's not very intuitive, i learnt how automate some windows commands thru trial & error, but at least there is a forum now so if you get stuck you can ask there. i use girder for all my basic windows commands shutdown ,reboot, change desktop resolutions, etc etc.IMHO girder+IRman+pronto is an unbeatable combination it will make your HCPC simple to use but you got to go through some pain to make it so.
    Cheers.
    Tim.