1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quadscan Elite Scaler

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Arty, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Arty

Arty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have bought a Quadscan Elite Video Scaler from a local shop,when it was demo'ed to me in the shop I thought it was excellent. However when I got it home the fan noise was VERY noticable. I recontacted the shop and was told that the fan was controllable as it was thermostatically controlled but had been set to run constantly. I was also told the unit could run quite hot as it works very hard to give excellent results.
    I have looked through the manual but cannot find any refference to the fan speed or its regulation. Have I been given " duff " gen or is the fan adjustable?
    I would hate to have to return it, it was an ex demo unit, I know they are no longer available.It does a great job apart from the fan noise.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,004
    As far as I remember the fan is not controllable. It is on all the time. Having said that the original Quadscan was fanless I seem to recall and it is possible to disconnect the fan internally. It is unlikely it will cook itself in our climate.

You can probably find more info about this if you do a search on the archives at www.avsforum.com

Gordon

3. Arty

Arty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon, thanks for the reply, the fan noise is loud and I was told it could be adjusted! I will have to re contact the seller as it is a problem! How would you compare the Quadscan with the Lumagen or other scalers? If I returned it would I be worse off getting a different unit? The only fault I have is the noise, don't fancy disconnecting the fan as it would effect the g/tee.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Arty;)

4. Arty

Arty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any advice ???? Anyone????:lease:

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,004
    The Quadscan, set up correctly, can be quite good with ntsc. It is soundly thrashed with PAL by a Lumagen, Centrestage, Iscan and numerous others.

No idea what you paid for it but a s/h Lumagen Vision will be a different league. These things need set up properly so whatever you get try and also get an instruction manual that tells you how to do that bit.

Gordon