1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quadrophonic LPs

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by eisenach, Jul 18, 2005.

1. eisenach

eisenach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    EMI produced lots of classical Quadrophonic LPs in the 70s, and I have quite a few, although I've only ever played them in stereo. It's just occured to me that since I now have an AV32R, one of the surround matrices may be compatible with the encoding. I've tried the TMA matrix, which seems just as heavy-handed as ever, whilst the ProLogic Music setting sounded ok.
    Was it just doing its usual stuff with stereo recordings, though, or was it making use of the SQ encoding? How can I find out? If it's not decoding SQ, does anyone know what else can be done to get it decoded. Hell, I don't even know whether you needed a special cartridge set-up, though I don't think this was the case. Any comments gratefully received.

2. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No clue. I always ignored that qudrophonical crap, same I do with EX etc.

Only thing I know is that RC1 version of "Tommy" has original quadrophonical track.

3. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If memory serves correct, Quadraphonic simply made the 'rear' channels out of phase with each other, hense a stereowide effect or surround effect.

I had a Kenwood Quadraphonic reciever with a massive 16 speaker output capability. Tinkering around with a couple of quad disks never really made much difference.

PLII or PLIIx will do much better.

4. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    The Quad mix of Deep Purple's Machine Head was used on the EMI SACD and sound good

5. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    As I am old enough to remember this first time round and even went to a hifi show that demonstrated Quadraphonic...... When I found an old quadraphonic LP (Tommy) and gave it a go I found DTS Neo.6 Music did a fair job..... Heaven only knows if that was good bad or indifferent compared with 30 odd years ago...... :rotfl:

6. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    I have JL's Imagine Quad LP. Years since I've played it. The mix had a few surprises including the intro to How Do You Sleep missing :eek:

If I can remember correctly the harmonica at the end of Oh!Yoko went round the four speakers.

I've also got Bill Wyman's Monkey Grip US pressing that I picked up in Canada in 1980 for 99c