Quad Vena II Play Streaming Amplifier Review & Comments

Again another review of a streamer that rates Features as a 9 but has DTS Play-Fi still a bit of a work in progress - does that deserve a 9 then?

Again another review of a streamer that rates Features as a 9 but has DTS Play-Fi still a bit of a work in progress - does that deserve a 9 then?

Yes. Play Fi is now pretty much to HEOS standard. Furthermore, it isn't just a streamer. Quad has successfully integrated a streaming module into a product that offers a great deal more functionality than just streaming.

Thanks great review of a venerable and old brand that's embracing well the 21st century.

But a 9 for what you describe as a work in progress, that to me is not a finalised app but still in in beta - again owners have to put up with the pain of unfinished apps. I just think that unless reviewers start to properly review the apps as an integral part of the hardware solution and start to push back on manufacturers this will not improve. How can you separate the apps from the hardware when they are an integral part of the functionality of the hardware?

Back to trying to make the Cyrus app on my Lyric connect as Cyrus seem to have completely broken it now. Really poor for a £3,000 item.

Thanks, great review. I have to admit to having a bit of a soft spot for Quad - my home cinema setup is still all Quad (apart from the atmos modules) - the 21L/11L/L centre and still sounds great.

No such thing as a finished App from anywhere, they are always being updated with new features and bug fixes, (No matter how long they have been out) so in this respect it is not a Beta product as it works well within its parameters, and will continue to get better.

Bill

There is such a thing as moving from beta to production - I am an ex s/w developer so I know the difference. The point is how can an app that is fundamental to the operation of the hardware have be included in a rating of 9 when it obviously isn't ready to move to production if that has that many issues. Bug fixes are different and not 'a work in progress' - that is beta.

These apps are notoriously bad and the user is expected to put up with it. My Cyrus Lyric has an app that has stopped working altogether and I am expected to accept that on a £3000 system - really. I have used other apps from manufacturers and so far I have not experienced one that does not crash or lose connection at some point, let alone not functioning properly to control the device. If we just sit back and accept it there is no incentive on the manufacturers to put any effort into fixing them. I would never buy another Cyrus product based on my current experience.

The review did not say that the app had problems, just that is was not as polished as others, which can apply to all apps during their continued update cycle.

Bill

The app passed the general stability tests I run. It installed on both Android and iOS and it neither dropped connection, nor failed to connect at any point in testing. This is my basic criteria for stability.

Could it be better? Yes. I'd like a grid/tile view for albums, better search and for it to be able to recognise DSD files and remove them from the list (as it Play Fi isn't compatible with them). These are not deal breakers as far as I am concerned, simply areas for a slightly better UI. It works fine though and it has made steps forward over the last few months,

Having received my non play version of the Quad Vena ii a couple of hours ago, I can say it sounds great. I actually demoed the Vena ii play (don’t need streaming though) and thought it was good

If I remember correctly, there were a fair few reliability problems with the original Vena.

I am sure they've ironed this out

If I remember correctly, there were a fair few reliability problems with the original Vena.

I am sure they've ironed this out
I remember this. I was thinking of buying one and a few buyers on the then whathif forum and I believe here had them fail early in their life.

Hopefully it's sorted, this looks great

Pros - Excellent Sound Quality
And then you gave it an eight out of ten for sound 😕

Are the reviews similar to the magazine ones that everyone slates. Because I’ve seen a few lately that are being questioned by “posters” on these forums.

Just got mine and plugged it in, lovely. I did audition the non Play but needed the streaming functionality, even though the Bluetooth was surprisingly good. To be honest i think it is an excellent all rounder. The Play-Fi app seems fine so far for Spotify, internet radio and DLNA.

How does this compare with the Cyrus One HD? (Just the amp section, which is the same one as in the Cast)

yeah was thinking the same

looking at downsizing soon as i might be moving...prior to this i've been looking at the vena II...the cyrus one ..and the one HD

does this have av by pass.?..i believe the normal vena doesnt ...but the cyrus does

Sat in on a demo (someone else's so I wasn't in charge of the music) at local hifi store yesterday. Thoughts appreciated on the Vena Play vs Cyrus One Cast. I'm struggling to see / hear what the extra cost in the Cyrus is for ?

Last edited:
So after a few weeks of using the Vena 2 Play i have to say that overall it is excellent. It provides a lovely sound via all inputs and the Phono stage seems very decent too. I can't see me using my Rega Fono again any time soon. A couple of gripes really:

1. Infared remote whilst lovely and compact only seems to work if pointed in a straight line at the amp. A little frustrating as i sit at an angle to the amp. Just means i have to lean over a bit but hey.

2. Play-Fi app needs some work no doubt. Nowhere near as fluid as Sonos for example. You can use Spotify Connect rather than Play-Fi but for the likes of Tidal you have to use the Play-Fi app. It just isn't as slick and is a bit slower but essentially "does a job".

However i love the amp overall. The sound is fantastic and it offers Wired and Wireless streaming of multiple services and DLNA, great Phono stage, has a nice compact size and great build quality. I also think that it is very good value for all that it offers. The Play-Fi app will improve a bit over time i am sure.

The question I have, on an Audio quality level, is it worth upgrading my original Quad Vena?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom