1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

quad v bose

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by baldybonce, May 18, 2003.

1. baldybonce

baldybonce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    :confused: I am very new to the AV world and have had 3 demo's being KEF eggs, QUAD 21-11-C with REL's quake and BOSE Acoustimass 15. I have decided on getting Denon's 3803 but cannot make up my mind on speakers.
    All 3 were impressive but were demo'd in 3 different AV stores so not under the same circumstances.
    Really like the look of the Quad system but I know I shouldn't buy something just on looks.
    Is there anybody out there who can shed some light on these choices???? System will mostly be used for TV and movies, but will be for music too
    :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The Quads are lovely speakers and worthy winners of What Hifi Speakers of the year. I'm not a lover of the REL Quake but feel that the MJ Acoustics Pro 50 is a far better subwoofer.

The KEF eggs have their followers but the sub is supposed to be a weak point and they are reputed to be not so good with music.

You won't find many people to say a good word here about Bose and although they may sound OK in a shop demo I think that you may soon get tired of them at home, especially if you listen to music.

3. CounterWhine

CounterWhine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    I believe that the sub supplied with KEF's eggs is being updated soon with a more powerful amp. I can't remember where I read that. It may already have happened. Confirmation anyone?

D.

4. baldybonce

baldybonce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    What reasons are Bose so disliked, they always sound quite impressive.
    Does anybody own the Quad set, would the 22 floorstanders be too overpowering?

5. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Bose always seem sound great in places like John Lewis when they compare them to "proper" speakers which arent properly bedded in and they suit small and awkward spaces well. For music they dont really cut it, the sub has to do too much because of the size of the speakers. How big is your room and could you get the Quads out into the room say 50cm or more away from back and side walls. If you can do that they will be fine because they arent the biggest floorstanders so I doubt they would be overpowering and they look gorgeous!

6. baldybonce

baldybonce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    The room is approx. 6m long by 4.5m wide, but one end is a dining area. Should be able to stand them out as you recommended. I have only listened to the 21's but if the 22's would be a better investment maybe I should go for these.
    I was well impressed with the finish on the Quads, looks like they should cost 3x as much

7. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    I've never heard the Quads, but have the AM15

Its a good system, but the sub woofer is not really living room shaking as a REL Q150 would give you

I think an AM15 with a REL Q150 would give you a very good system but obviously this is expensive

If you could fit the Quads into your living room, and give them space then I think if they sound ok, try a sub woofer like the MJ Pro or Rel Q150 and then I think you would have a good combination

Sub Sats always seem to need 2 sub-woofers, one that comes with it to supplement the base for the small speakers, and another sub-woofer to handle the lower frequency really effectively

The benefit of sub-sat systems is you don't need to give the speakers space between walls, you can place them anywhere

8. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go to any pub that you know to have a disgraceful sounding system and have a little look in the corners of the room and see what speakers they're using. 9 out of 10 times it'll be Bose.

Whilst buying a speaker system based purely on looks wouldn't usually be advisable, in this case I'd suggest you definitely do so... assuming that you prefer the look of the Quads (or just about anything else for that matter) to the Bose that is.

You might want to think about adding a better sub than the Quake though.

9. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Sounds like you have plenty of room for the Quads, it depends if you actually want to be able to see speakers but with ones as nice as the quads surely it cant be a problem. You can probably get away with wall mounting the rears at the back of the room because it isnt that bit and you may even want to try 7.1 with one pair along side and one pair right at the back, the Denon 3803 would have no trouble with that. You may also want to try a bigger sub because you obviously have a reasonable space to fill.

10. baldybonce

baldybonce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    With the info from juboy I started noticing speakers and didnt realise that nearly all are Bose. When listened to carefully they dont sound particually great (my opinion).
    With that research complete I have now decided on the Quads for a couple of reasons, 1, they sound great and 2, they look stunning, and will look great in my lounge.
    Next decision to make is what sub???????

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    if it's a compact sub that you are after you have a choice of the Velodyne VX10 from the Power Buy forum at £200 which I have never heard, the REL Quake which I have heard and don't like or the MJ Acoustics Pro 50 at £300 which has received five stars from every magazine that has tested it and has been well received by forum members too

12. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The MJA Reference 100 and Reference 150 are definitely worth a look as well, as are some of the B&W subs (ASW600/675 etc).

MuFu.

13. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Warning ... this post contains controvercial statements.

I think this is a very unfair and biased statement. The systems sold to pubs are irrelevant compared with home systems and (apart from concept - that is 1 big separate subwoofer with multiple smaller drivers for the higher frequencies) share none of the same parts or technologies. The reason that pub music systems sound bad (compared with say most home systems) is the environment - it's a noisy environment naturally, and has multiple speakers all playing together which will cause some to be out of phase and delayed compared to others adding to the bad sound. Also pub systems are designed to provide background music - which is often too loud IMO - where as at home the music you listen to, and especially when its part of an AV setup, is designed to be a lot more 'in your face'.

I could equally say that I used to run a small PA system in medium sized bars for small bands ... and used a Bose system that sounded great. But using that as an argument to buy a Bose Accoustimas home audio system would also be irrelevant.

The reason that most people won't have anything good to say about Bose is that while they sound okay ... they sound okay compared with systems costing 20-25% of their cost - there is better out their for the money. I would hazard a guess that a lot of people who go on about Bose here have never hears a properly set up Bose system, and while as I say there is a lot better out their for the money ... most Bose speaker systems are not as bad as many would have you believe.

In summary though ... I'd buy the Quads out of your choice is space, etc is not an issue. Actually thats not true I'd buy a set of 602/LCR60/601 but thats not the question here. Anyhow, "Big Box" speakers will always (IMO) sound better than similar sized "lifestyle" systems.

Vikki

14. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'd agree with a lot of that Sounddog.

Bose can sound okay (upto a point & better with movies than music), but you can get a better sound for the same money (or less) from a lot of other speakers.

There are however a lot of people out there who will buy them simply because they value "OK cinema sound with very discrete speakers" more than "great sound from more visible speakers."

Different priorities lead to different choices & you pays your money you takes your choice.

15. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Might be worth checking out the B&W VM1 speakers if you're still undecided. I only use mine for movies and TV but they are supposed to be excellent for music as well.

I understand the Gallo Ball thingies are supposed to be very good also.

16. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Souddog, many thanks for pointing out that pubs aren't the same as people's front rooms.

Thanks also for going on to agree with me that Bose speakers aren't great and, according to you, provide about 75% less value for money than other systems and that you agree with my advice to buy the Quads over the Bose.

17. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  18. willems

willems

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello

i own the 11L and the Pro 50. IMO avoid the REL Quake. It was a poor sub compared to the Pro 50 or at least i thought so.

the 11L are nice speakers i guess the 22L will be similarly special.

BOSE i aint to keen on.

19. baldybonce

baldybonce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Thanx everyone for yr info, its very helpfull

Willems, do you use yr 11L's as fronts or rears? I was going to use them as rear's with either 21L's or 22L's as fronts.

Dunkyboy, read yr Bose info, very interesting

Have been looking at sub info and am now looking at Velodyne VX10 or maybe 15 if I can talk 'you know who' into such a large box. Shame it only comes in black.

20. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    What about though,

Readers of the 'T3' magazine ( the new technology mag ) voted the Bose cube as 'Best speaker' last year.

'What Hi-Fi' recently gave the AM15 4 out of 5 stars and said it sounded very good.

SevenOaks Sound and Vision have now started selling the AM15 speaker system.

The technology used in the AM15 is the same as any sub-sat system there is ( Gallo, Sony Dav etc ), its not unique to the AM15, but Bose started it and other companies are now trying to copy it.

But the AM15 has a difference...

It disperses the sound giving a wider sound stage and therefore does not localise the speakers ( something you may find happens with large speakers, you start noticing the sound comes from that speaker and then that one... ).

Only one other speaker manufacturer tries to do this and thats Mirage ( the OmniSats are starting to get rave reviews for their dispersed sound technology ).

This is why Bose is also used alot in pubs, record shops etc because it has this dispersed sound technology that can spread the sound in a wider area. You will find this in the 201 and 301 speakers.

As for the paper and single driver issues for the cube...

Alot of great speakers have paper as their drivers, check out the AVS forum for information on this. Also alot of great speakers use a single driver ( to avoid crossover issues ).

21. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I first came across Bose speakers in 1971 when I met someone who was about to import their domestic speakers into UK for the first time.

Until that time they were happy to let every other speaker manufacturer fight over the tiny domestic market whilst they sewed up the much bigger and far more lucrative pub market. It had nothing to do with the dispersed sound that their speakers produced but much more to do with having a more astute management than their competitors.

22. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The fact that a retailer is selling something is only an indication that they think that they can make a profit from the product and nothing more.

If I were to set up as a hifi / av retailer I would also be selling Bose and the only indication that anyone should draw from that is that I think that I can make a living selling them.

Retailers are in this business for one reason and one reason only and that is to make a profit and very few can afford the luxury of scruples

23. willems

willems

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have not got home cinema so the 11L are used as my only speakers. as rears these i think would be nice. the finish on these speakers is fantastic.

quad are releasing a L series sub so it might be worth the wait

24. ag_pusscat

ag_pusscat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have Quad 21L fronts and 11L rears. I actually haven't got my amplification yet though, so I don't want to comment too much, but ...

- You may be waiting a while for the Quad sub. I e-mailed them about it a few months ago and they replied saying the rejected the design they were working on and were going back to the drawing board. It may be a long wait ...
    - In tests with a NAD T762 a subwoofer made a huge difference to movies and is a must. Perhaps you might get away without one with the 22L's.
    - I also listened to an M&K sub sat system at the same time as some Quad 11L's - for music there was no comparison. The Bose would probably be better than the M&K, but I don't know if they could make up all the ground to the Quads.

25. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh dear ag_pussycat.. your in for it now

26. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1. Have you actually seen T3? Jack of all trades, masters of the 3 paragraph 'in depth' review of everything.

2. What Hi Fi are currently in talks with the Iraqi information minister as they need a new editor.

3. Bose spend more money of advertising than anything else. Their account would be worth any magazine giving a 5 star review to secure (although the 4 stars is a nice touch as even Bose wouldn't believe 5 stars...)

4. Am I going insane, or did somebody say a Bose system might be better than an M&K system?

27. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I presume that this is a wind-up :devil:

28. baldybonce

baldybonce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    ag_pusscat

Did you choose the 21L's over the 22L's because the salesman said so, or was it your choice. I have never heard the 22's.

29. ag_pusscat

ag_pusscat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Don't take any offence M&K fans. The ones I were listening to were very tiny and valued at about 170 quid each. Looking at their web site they looked like K-17's. Not a fair comparison to begin with. I am sure their bigger speakers would far exceed Quads, but these ....

bb I chose the 21L's on purely financial grounds. I would have preferred the 22L's, but they were too expensive for my budget. Especially if I bought 12L's to match.

A 21L is basically a floor standing 11L. The 22L is also a floorstander, but with two (slightly larger) drivers. The 12L's are a slightly bigger 11L with the driver to match the 22L. Got all that?