Quad Peerless xls10

jason shep

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Could any of you guys model 4 Peerless xls10's in a sealed cabinet for me please ?

Model no. XLS-P830452

Thank you in advance for any help :)

Come on Chaps,i know you all like the idea of big kick ass drivers but four of these little things has more cone area than an 18" :)
I'm too stupid to work out the cabinet volume myself,don't let me mess it up ;)
I'll post up the T.S. parameters for encouragement :thumbsup:

T.S. Parameters :)
image.jpg

I am away from a computer today but will have a go later tonight if I get time. Why are you going for 4x10 BTW? What sort of space are you trying to fit into?

Last edited:
Hi Matt,
thats much appreciated :)

Yes,i'm going with a pair of 4x10"'s in cubes with a driver on each vertical face of the cube,they will each be placed in the front corners & i'll be using a lyngdorf TDAi2170 with room perfect.

I'm aiming for 50cm cubes made from 2 layers of 18mm mdf so roughly 428x428x428 internal which i believe is about 77.7 litres or 2.74 cu ft.

well, i'm certainly not chasing any sub 20hz extension,i'd prefer a nice tight sound if possible,i have a Behringer NU6000 dsp to drive them & being 4ohm svc i assume i'll wire them series parallel for 4ohms each sub

Last edited:
do you mean 4 drivers in each box or 2 in each box? 77L is a big box even for 4 of them mind you, it gives Q=0.485 with 4 in 77L and Q=0.382 with 2 in a 77L box.

It really looks more like 10L per driver is all you need. This is 4 in a 40L box (Q=0.627)

upload_2014-6-29_20-32-32.png

You can get the winisd project here and the driver file here

Thanks Matt,
Yes it's 4 in each box but smaller would be better,I was working on the fact that a BK xls200 with the same driver is 18 litres so I was thinking four times bigger,40 litres would be tiny :)

I would say you definitely have a bit of room to go a bit smaller. I guess BK can go bigger for a single driver as it's still a small box and it then reduces the power requirements a bit.

A 76L enclosure with 4 drivers stays within xmax (down to 10Hz) with 600W whereas a 40L enclosure takes 900W to get there. I wasn't sure from the spec whether the drivers were happy with 150W or 300W so it might be that the larger enclosure is perfect from power handling & output perspective.

Anyway it sounds like you're well covered either way with 8 of them and an inuke6000 :)

Thanks Matt,
I really appreciate your time doing that for me.

Smaller than 76litres is definitely desirable but i don't need to go as small as 40litres,i'm not sure what effect the cabinet volume has on the sound of the system ?

Last edited:
My guess is that you will hear no difference from ~50L so pick whatever enclosure sizes works best for your room.

One way to visualise it is by comparing the responses [to an impulse] of different Q's over time. I've printed them at the end of the post. Basically as Q goes down then the driver is quicker to settle down. In frequency response terms, higher Q means a peakier response and a faster rolloff whereas lower Q means an earlier rolloff but a much shallower rolloff.

The problem is you don't listen to a graph, you listen to a speaker in a room :) These are theoretical models of how a speaker will behave in a given box but you actually listen to a speaker in a room powered by an actual amplifier with all the effects that brings with it. Therefore it's not hard to find people who will argue the above is meaningless, it's the final in room Q that matters (which I think largely reduces down to all subs sound the same if they are setup the same way and are playing within their useable range). There are others who will argue the opposite and that these effects are real and very much audible. Such opinions tend to be strongly held :p

Q ~= 1.5

upload_2014-6-29_23-21-14.png

Q ~= 1.1

upload_2014-6-29_23-20-30.png

Q ~= 0.707

upload_2014-6-29_23-24-19.png

Q ~= 0.5

upload_2014-6-29_23-22-18.png

FWIW even 50L gives you Q = 0.573 on paper so there really is minimal difference in the shape of the (frequency & impulse) response from there to 75L.

Smaller needs more power yes. I think "best sq potential" depends on your view re my previous post :)

as i understand it, filling is to control cabinet resonances which effect higher frequencies and hence filling helps reduce distortion and enables higher crossovers. I guess this will be important to you if you are running them as boundary woofers?

Are you going to run them as stereo subs BTW or 2.1?

Thank you very much Matt,
A 45cm cube gives 54litres so i think i'll go for that,i will start cutting some mdf this week :)

Smaller needs more power yes. I think "best sq potential" depends on your view re my previous post :)

as i understand it, filling is to control cabinet resonances which effect higher frequencies and hence filling helps reduce distortion and enables higher crossovers. I guess this will be important to you if you are running them as boundary woofers?

Are you going to run them as stereo subs BTW or 2.1?

Sorry Matt,i removed my previous post as it didn't make much sense when i read it back !

i'm going to play around with xovers & see how it goes,i'm not sure how the Lyngdorf system uses the subs in a 2+2 system

Hi Jason
Did u finish this system?

I ask out of great interest as I currently have 1 AE15H in our living room positioned under the centre speaker. Moving into our new living room I've really struggled to get a good response from the subwoofer. It's flat-ish at the listening position. When I move 1/2 seats left. It's very bass heavy by about +6dB and when I move right there is a null around 40hz causing a loss of 6dB. Very annoying.

I have another AE15H in storage but I just think for such a small living room 2x15" drivers may be slightly intrusive.

So am toying with having/testing 2 subwoofers - FiQ 12 x 2 or 4 x Peerless XLS10. These will take up much less space than 2 15's and as I don't ever have the volume near reference levels so I never really push my drivers near their limits.

My goal is quality over SPL.

Thanks. Looks like it's coming on nicely.

When I started looking back into the DIY section a few weeks ago. I'm sure (hopefully I wasn't dreaming) that someone mentioned someone that pre cuts or makes cabinets on eBay or somewhere for a fee...

Sound familiar? :-s

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom