1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quad or Monitor Audio for Denon 1804 AV receiver?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Nick CY, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Nick CY

Nick CY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello guys :) I'm new to the world of home cinema and I've decided to build my first system. I think I will probably go for the Denon 1804 as my receiver. A friend of mine has the Quad 22L's and has been raving about them, and he recommends that I also go for Quads for my system. I want to use my system bothe for movies and for music. I have also read great reviews about the Monitor Audio Silver series. If I get the Quads, I will probably choose the 22L's or 12L's for front speakers, the 11L's for the rear, as well as a Quad centre channel. If I get the Monitor Audio Silver series, I will get the S6 towers for the front, S1 for the rears and the LCR centre, and the FB110 sub. Now, my question is, is the Denon receiver best suited for the Quad speakers or for the Monitor Audio's? I have been reading that the Quads require really good quality gear to perform at their best. Also if you have any other speaker combinations that would be more suitable for the 1804 please let me know. Thanks :thumbsup:

2. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quad speakers, they can then benefit from a power amp upgrade later :D

3. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I don't know how they would perform in a surround package but 22l's and s6's are both excellent speakers.
    Both would benefit from equipment upgrades! I would imagine the MA's would work out slightly cheaper than the Quad package.
    You say you'll either go for the 12l or the 22l's. That's a vaste difference in speaker! Your looking at a Standmount and a big 21/2 way floor stander! That would surely influence your amplifier choice (you should also look carefully at your room size) I run my S6's with big amplifiers in a largish room and quite honestly I would put them against anything up to the £1000 mark and take the MA's everytime for £600 I don't think you'll beat them but i'm talking about 2 channel audio.
    In order to get a system comparable to the 22l based quad system from MA you would need to go to the s8's as fronts. I wouldn't have thought there would be much between them in build quality and musicality. The s8's just have that bit more weight in the bass department than the 6's.

Both would be an OK match for Denon 2 channel audio equipment. Whether this is relevent for surround I don't know.
    Hope this helps

4. cityonfire

cityonfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    for the monitor audios or quads i would get the next amp up at least in the denon range. the quads i found need more juice to get them going compared to the monitor audios

5. Spoonfed

Spoonfed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bit over a 1 year ago i had the same choice!!!

Went home with 12L's and are still happy.

Receiver Denon 1602 (yes don't laugh). The quads a still a big improvement and sound awsome.
    (receiver soon to be upgraded. Arcam AVR300 i think is the go)

6. Nick CY

Nick CY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm now also looking at the Harman Kardon range of receivers, specifically the AVR 230 which is 6x50w or the AVR 330 which is 7x55w. I have read some great reviews on Harman Kardon products, and you shouldn't be fooled by the low watt indications of the Harman Kardons as they have high current capability. I've also been reading some great reviews about the Monitor Audio Bronze series. I would probably go for the B2 for rears, B2 or B4 for fronts, B centre and probably AW100 subwoofer eventually. Would the Harman Kardon receiver match well with these Monitor Audio speakers?