• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Quad or B&W

tolmie

Simple question, quad 12L 2 or B&W CM1. I'm more into detail than anything, not bothered about base.

Cheers

kbfern

Distinguished Member
If your not too worried about bass then the Quad 11L may be a better choice than the 12L as the 11L midrange is generally regarded to be better than the 12L,you will also save a little money as the 11's are cheaper.

Dont know about the B&W as I have not heard them,however I do have some 11L's and they are a great speaker for the money.Don't know whether you can still get the discontinued L range,I paid £199 for mine a couple of months ago.

tolmie

Went and had a demo of both of the above speakers just a few hours ago. The Quad thump the B&W by a distance.The B&W (CM1) have decent detail but the Quad's have everything including a brilliant base. The Quad's (12L 2) just amazed me. Got them ordered

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Were they the discontinued 12L or the newer 12L2 and how much are they,the outgoing 12L was available for £249 up till recently.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Sorry just noticed you are taking about the newer 12L2,I didn't realise they were out yet.Did you listen to the 11L2 while you were there.

Anyway glad you like the Quads they are seriously good speakers,just remember they will need upwards of 50hrs running in before they give their best.This is due to the kevlar cones which need running in to loosen them up.

tolmie

Yeah its the 12L 2. I didn't listen to the 11L's because of the major improvements they have made to the 12L's. Im sure the 11L's are brilliant aswell. The sound from the 12L's was just stonking. So much more meaty than the B&W's. The B&W are great speakers aswell but I just loved the Quads. I feel the quads can do alot more with a better amp, where as I feel the B&W have limited abilities. Thats just my view.

tolmie

Got my quads ordered, should get them in the next few days.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom