Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Quad not enough

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by ksteed, May 9, 2005.

1. ksteed

ksteed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have sky + downstairs for the plasma with another reciever upstairs for the kids.
    Am now thinking of putting another plasma in the kitchen and want to add another sky + box, trouble is, have run out of outputs, as already using 3 of the 4 from the quad LNB.
    Does anyone know of a good quality quad out there that will fit on the sky dish with 6 outputs ?

Thanks guys
    Kev

2. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,476
    You can get pricey octo-lnb's but the simplest solution is another dish. Would that be possible ?

Mike.

3. RichA

RichA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I don't really understand (but accept after reading posts from those wiser than I) why sky+ needs two feeds not just one split into two. But, moving on, surely two sky+ could share the same two feeds. i.e. split both feeds into both boxes.

The box just accepts the input from the dish - passively - so shouldn't know that the feed has been split.

If possible this would solve your problem.

Yours Speculatively,
    Rich

4. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +756
    A splitter won't work.
    Separate LNB feeds are neeeded because separate control of whether hi-band or low-band and vertical or horizontal polarisation are selected is necessary.
    Otherwise the 2 would "fight" with each other for control of the LNB.
    Low/Hi switching is by means of superimposition (or lack of) of a 22KHz tone whilst V/H switching is via the power fed to the LNB 14 volts or 18 volts nominal depending on required polarity.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

5. scitech

scitech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I understand it (I am prepared to be corrected) the STB doesn't only receive but it sends signals to the lnb as to what transponder/channel to tune to.

There are such things as stacker-destackers which will send two signals down one feed but in the case of the OP you would need two, and they would also need to be installed at the dish end as well as the STB end. Whether this is a cheaper option than just getting a second dish I don't know. Maybe someone could post a link to some.

There is also the problem of having two dishes on a house being against planning regs but I saw a whole row of houses last weekend with two dishes mounted very conspiculously. Although perhaps they'd been converted into flats and so the regs don't apply in the same way.

Regards.

Daz

6. scitech

scitech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good point Chris, I wouldn't have bothered typing my post if I knew you were going to beat me to it ;) !

Out of interest - based on what Chris said, does that mean that you'd need a second dish with multiroom or surely the two STBs wold be fighting over the lnb as well?

7. Goonboy

Goonboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What you need is to upgrade to a quattro LNB rather than a quad (has four outputs just like a quad) but each of the frequency bands are seperated H+, H-, V+ and V-. These are then fed into a multi switch (same a communal system) and then you can choose how many feeds you want eg. 6, 8, 12, 24. I have one of these with 8 ports and it works great.

8. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    My inlaws have communal Sky. If he wanted to upgrade to Sky+, would the existing communal system work or does Sky+ just not work with communal systems? He only has one Sky connection + terresteral aerial into his existing box and this setup is mirrored in a number of rooms.

-Ian

9. Goonboy

Goonboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    SKY+ will work from a communal system, so long as it has two feeds from the switch to the receiver. Alternatively, if you have an unused feed in another room, you could always re-route this to the SKY+ location. One final option is to use a stacker/de-stacker (stills requires an extra connection at the multi switch).
    Simon

10. ksteed

ksteed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for you advise guys, seems the easy way is to just put another dish up, the quattro will probably work out a lot more than another dish & quad.

Thank you for all your advise

Kev

11. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    As Goonboy says, Sky+ on a communal system requires some hardware modifications that the landlord/building owner would need to be involved in. If they agree, is going to be costly with labour and parts. Could also be messy with new cable routing needed.

12. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    If you shop arround I think you will find a Quattro LNB and little 8 way IRS Switch as cheap as a new dish and install.

Infoact you could run into planning issues if the two dishes are visable and people point it out to the planning issues.

13. Image Retention

Image Retention

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You need planning permission if you have 2 fixed satellite dishes, a dish above the apex of the roof, or a dish 90cm or above. The way I get around the 2-dish problem is my 60cm dish is held down on the flat roof with 9 bricks. That way it's not a fixed installation and doesn't interfere with planning regulations.

14. ksteed

ksteed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    all this hassle for a third reciever, planning permition etc.
    Right, anyone out there know the price of a good quattro LNB.
    There must be someone who makes one ?
    Just a case of how much.

Cheers guys

15. igauk

igauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6