Quad lnb for use with sky mini dish and freesat

jaminben

Hi,

I've just bought a TBS PCIe quad tuner for my HTPC setup but also need to upgrade my lnb as its an old style triple Sky lnb. I'm a little confused as to what to buy, what will fit and what will work..... does it need voltage switching etc?

Can anyone recommend a good lnb which fits the above?

Thanks

logiciel

What is a "triple sky LNB"? A Sky dish normally has a quad LNB but if yours is something else it can easily be replaced with one. You don't have to concern yourself with switching or anything like that. Here's the sort of thing: Sky LNBs.
How does Freesat come into this?

jaminben

Hi,

Thanks for the speedy reply :)

I used to have Sky along time ago and had multi-room (3 wires).... I just assumed the LNB I had attached to the dish was a triple LNB due to the 3 wires but I guess its not?

I'm not interested in Sky but would like to recieve Freesat using the same dish. I've had Freesat running on an old Nova HD (S2) card for quite sometime via my HTPC but I just bought a quad tuner and can no longer tune any Freesat channels reliably. Again I've assumed its the old LNB which is preventing me from tuning Freesat with my new card and thought I'd kill two birds with one stone by getting a new quad LNB.

Not really sure what I'm doing so any help would be appriciated.

Thanks

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
I've had Freesat running on an old Nova HD (S2) card for quite sometime via my HTPC but I just bought a quad tuner and can no longer tune any Freesat channels reliably.

If the older tuner still works ok your problem is the new tuner, either hardware fault or software problem (drivers?). If both no longer it's the dish, lnb or cabling at fault. You could perhaps borrow a Sky or Freesat receiver to test it?

jaminben

Ok, I was thinking of getting a Satellite Finder from maplins as I don't have a reciever I can borrow.

One of the wires from my LNB doesn't pick anything up and using software I can see I get a signal strength of about 60% on the other two wires.... is it possible my dish has become un-aligned? I struggle to recieve Channel 4HD.... ITV HD works sometimes but BBC One HD and BBC HD work all the time.

Thanks

logiciel

That's OK and as kevkbuk implies, if it worked on the previous card it should with the new one.
Multiroom uses one or two connections, and there aren't any triple LNBs anyway, so you must have a quad already.
It's rather odd though that some channels work and others don't, so it would be worth having the dish checked.
Satellite finders aren't all that useful for this sort of thing.
You're referring to Freesat but isn't it just free satellite that you're getting on the computer?

jaminben

Ok, I think I'll get the dish checked out and at the same time get another wire put into the spare LNB that I already have that I didn't know about :)

Once I can get all channels working correctly with all wires on the Nova HD I'll then start looking into why the new quad tuner doesn't work.

When I say Freesat I mean the free channels that Freesat offers (unencrypted).

Thanks

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Ok, I think I'll get the dish checked out and at the same time get another wire put into the spare LNB that I already have that I didn't know about :)

Once I can get all channels working correctly with all wires on the Nova HD I'll then start looking into why the new quad tuner doesn't work.

When I say Freesat I mean the free channels that Freesat offers (unencrypted).

Thanks

There's dozens of free to air content from 28.2/28.5E that's not on the Freesat epg (most of it complete rubbish mind you :eek:)

logiciel

When I say Freesat I mean the free channels that Freesat offers (unencrypted)
Freesat actually IS its EPG - you don't get that, do you?

jaminben

I get the EPG from the satellite stream via EPG Collector in an xml format and import that into the HTPC.

logiciel

Interesting. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom