QUAD L2-SUB crossover with 21L2 floorstanders?

MR. APPLEHEAD

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, :)

I'm wondering how to integrate the L2-SUB with some 21L2 floorstanders. The 2.1 setup will be used mostly for music and probably 30% for films.

I like the idea of the sub for both music and films but I don't really know what crossover point would be best as the whole point the the floorstanders is that they can do most of the bass...

If the sub was set to high- it would probably be better just getting some standmounts (which I would rather not do because I would have to buy the right stands:rolleyes: and I really prefer the look of floorstanders etc.)

Quad claim the 21L2 (£700) can go down to about 35Hz at -6dB. So what would you estimate the lowest point at 0dB to be? I would set the sub to that frequency and of course integrate the volumes etc properly.

OR...(please read on.:D)

Would the 22L2 (£900)(with a separate 6.5" bass driver which the crossover is set at 150Hz, which Quad claim can go to 30Hz at -6dB), be able to produce substantial bass for normal music listening and movie LFE sound effects? I know its all different opinions, but thats what I want to compare.

Of course I will get a few audition organized sooner or later, but I'd like a few of your opinions first:thumbsup:

Compare these figures for the 22L2 on Hifix's site;

* Frequency Response at 3dB 30Hz to 28kHz

* In room frequency bandwidth -6dB at 62Hz / 28kHz

Very confusing.

I'd say the latter figures are more realistic and adding a sub will definitely improve the bass.

As for the crossover with those, I'd be looking at 60-70 hz and 70-80 hz for the 21L2.

But that's guesswork and you would have to experiment.

By the way, don't feel you are tied to a Quad sub. You can swap makes no problem.
The likes of a BK Monolith or the xxls400 might actually be better at much cheaper prices.

Thanks for your opinion:smashin:

I have considered other subs but I just cant get myself away from the Quad:D. Even though I have found cheaper and potentially even better subs- I think I will still go for the Quad as I really want an 'all Quad' system. Ever since I first got interested in high end audio, the Quads have been first on my list:) They seem more like they are made for me everyday!

I am still open to any opinion from you guys. Very happy to expand my knowledge:D

Stick with the 21L2s and set the crossover to 80Hz. Balance the volumes at normal and high volume levels and raise the crossover if there's a dip around the crossover point, until you can eliminate it.

Although upgrading to 22L2's may well improve the overall sound, it will not obviate the need for a sub. This also applies to the ESL2805 and ESL2905, which are a significant upgrade (although I was not convinced by the Quad L2-SUB when used with my Quad ESLs).

Last edited:
Thanks for your response Mark.Yudkin. :)

Quick question:
You said 80Hz as a possible crossover point, wouldn't this be quiet high for a sub with bass capable floorstanders? With a high sub crossover like this wouldn't I get similar results from the standmount speakers 12L2 in the same range?

Although I would probably end up buying the floorstanders which I prefer over the standmounts, the high crossover point suggests I could get very similar results to the floorstanders with the cheaper standmount speakers. :confused:

What do you think? :cool:

When you're using a sub, you shouldn't get hung up on how low speakers go.
The advantage with bigger speakers will come in the range just above where the sub runs out of legs ;)

The thing to remember is that a decent sub with a large (10") driver should be better at up to 80ish hz when compared to, say, a 6" driver.

A proper sub is at it's most efficient(ish) at 80ish, whereas a 6" is near enough on it's bottom end.

Plus you get the big advantage that your amp is concentrating on what it does best (lower freqs take more power). The more power you can save at the bottom, the more you have for the mid-high range :smashin:

Thanks for that info Badger0-0:thumbsup:

I knew that 6" drivers can go quite low, but you reminded me that that is only when they are pushing very hard, which can affect the midrange:(. I forgot about that:eek:! Thanks.

Although your point backs up my question of the standmounts. A high sub crossover point will eliminate the deep bass capabilities of the floorstanders, so standmounts should also be able to produce very similar sound.
Thats what I think anyway, but I'll see what you all think of that too...

Last edited:
A high sub crossover point will eliminate the deep bass capabilities of the floorstanders, so standmounts should also be able to produce very similar sound.
Thats what I think anyway, but I'll see what you all think of that too...
If you consider that ou can buy better bookshelf speakers than standmounts with the same outlay, and your budget is "in that region", then this may be the case. Once you reach the point of limited improvements with cash outlay, going physically larger can yield greater improvements.

My attitude - but I'm somebody who'll spend rather more on speakers that I would spend on a amplification - is to forget size and get the best sound (and get SWMBO on-board with the decision).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom