1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quad L subwoofer tuning tips please

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Maki, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Maki

Maki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I have just bought one of these and I am in need of tips for setting up. I have a Yamaha DSPE 800 Processor connected to a NAD C340 Amp, Kef Q55 fronts, Tannoy 632's rear and a Kef Cresta centre. The problem is the processor does not have a test tone for a sub, making it somewhat difficult.
    I watched U571 last night and was impressed by the presence of the sub (no pun intended), however, I could not make out if it was correctly set up, I could hear, the explosions but they were not earth shattering.
    What isthe best way at getting this thing set up, and what sort of sound am I really looking for, I don't want over blown bass, just nice tight extension on what already exists.
    Please some advice. :lease:

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    First thing is to set the sub volume using an SPL meter if possible so that it's the same volume as your other speakers.

Then adjust the crossover frequency until you're happy with the way it integrates with your main speakers. This is best done by listening to some music you know well until you reach a balance you like (don't be afraid to set the crossover frequency anywhere along it's range).

Ignore the phase control if it's got one.

That should be enough to at least get you going. :)

3. Maki

Maki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    With you on that, but setting the level is going to be hard without a test tone, the best I can do is with a THX test on a DVD. Will this be good enough? Or have you any tips on setting up the subs volume with the other speakers.

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    The THX test should be fine, doesn't the Yamaha Processor have a built in test tone though?

5. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    The THX frequency sweep could prove pretty inacurate if there are significant peaks and valleys in the room response.
    In the absence of a test tone I would reccommend using the mucical method setting up the sub.
    While playing a pice of music with a good strong bass line, turn up the sub so that the sub just becomes obvious, then turn it down a little.
    This way the sub should be nicely underpinning the mains but not audibly locatable.

6. Maki

Maki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks I will give it a go.