Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Quad L Subwoofer Setup with current Quad components.

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by harry_alexandre, Mar 31, 2005.

1. harry_alexandre

harry_alexandre

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey people, first thread. Hope you can help me!!
    I am lucky enough to own a full Quad set up - Quad 909, Quad 99 CD-P and Quad 21L speakers. I want to a Quad L Subwoofer but how would this connect to my system!? Ive looked on the internet, all the forums on here and asked dealers but cannot get the answer im looking for. I know the subwoofer has both hi and low speaker inputs and subwoofer out and phono inputs. The CD-p/power amp does not have a subwoofer out and has no extra phono outputs to connect directly to it. All i can think to use is the speaker wire inputs but how would this all connect?
    Also if anybody has got any pictures of the L sub, especially in black, could they post it or send it to me, thanks ;)

Haz

2. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    U would connect the speaker outs from the amp to the sub,then from sub to speakers setting the crossover on the sub to whatever u want lets say 60hz then the sub will handle all freqencys below 60hz and send the rest to the speakers.

Hope this helps and hope it makes sense

3. harry_alexandre

harry_alexandre

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for quick reply. Ive seen the back of the Subwoofer and it only has 2 pairs of input only speaker terminals. ie. 2 positive and 2 negative for two pairs of cable to go in. Therefore how would you run two pairs of cable into it from the amp, and then two pairs from the sub into the speakers?? thanks :thumbsup:

Haz

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Keep the speakers connected exactly as they are and connect the sub to the same speaker terminals on the amp. This will feed a full range signal to the subwoofer and you will use the sub's crossover to filter out frequencies above a certain limit so that the sub only replays the lower notes.

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Ian's advice is the first of 2 options. The alternative is only viable if either CDP or 909 have a spare set of pre-outs. If they do then you can use those to send a low level signal to the Quad sub and use the subs internal crossover in the same way that Ian described. :)

6. harry_alexandre

harry_alexandre

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Quad 909/99cd-p dont have any spare pre-outs. Ians idea sounds good, however i have banana plugs (airlocked) at the end of my speakers cables so it will be difficult to connect more speaker cable on the same terminal :p

Haz

7. harry_alexandre

harry_alexandre

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, actually if i get some more cable i should be able to get a banana plug and and a wired ended speaker wire into the same terminal!. will see! Does anybody own the L subwoofer mostly for music, how does it sound? Thanks

8. Lester

Lester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hey Harry....

Here's some pics of a mate's Quad in Piano Gloss Black. They're a bit ropey but you'll get the idea.

It looks like it's in "stealth mode" in some ! This apparent invisibility is a trick of the light due to the shiny surface - honest. He's just a bit crap with the camera.

Attached Files: