1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quad L subwoofer - first impressions

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by andyasb, Nov 7, 2004.

1. andyasb

andyasb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi all,

Following my previous post, I've now got a Quad L subwoofer! Rest of system is Quad 12L,11L,C Arcam FMJ-27A dvd player and AVR300 amp.

First impressions, beautifully finished piece of kit (piano black), looks a million times better than the old REL Q100, easily passes girlfriend approval test.

Sound wise - well a quantum leap from the Q100. Much deeper levels of bass, scarily so in fact, yet infinitely more controlled. You never once sense that you're pushing the thing!

Very easy to setup and control, only complaint is that the remote control is a bit cheap feeling!

Still being a bit cautious while it 'warms up'. Happy to provide more reports if anybody's interested!

A

2. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    What are the specs for the Quad sub? I have an old brochure, but this may not be right (150W amp 10" driver). Can you read the settings on the front of the sub?

Russell

3. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heard the Quad Sub at the What HiFi show Today and the sound is very good for the price, they keep on turning out good Kit, looks the nuts aswell :thumbsup:

John

4. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Great subwoofer, I was very very impressed with it. For the money, you can't really complain. Sure, you can import an SVS sub that will outperform it, but then you may not feel like doing the import thing, in which case, this new kid on the block is a stunning alternative.

Looks wise, nothing touches it unless you get into Velodyne DD or B&W ASW850 territory, and for a 10" driver, it sounds amazing!! Peerless WAF, and a great sound, for the ones that wish to source a UK supplied subwoofer, this should be on your audition list!

5. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For a 10" it would but the driver is a 12" :devil:

John :)

6. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    12"!! VFM AND WAF!! Killer combo, the bonus is that it just sounds soooooooo good :D

7. ScottW75

ScottW75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +788

I currently have a home demo of the maple version, but would like to see the black version before making up my mind, could you possibly post some pics.

I have noticed that the demo one has a annoying humming noise (whilst on and in standby and with the audio lead connected or disconnected), does yours do this?

thanks

8. rajpura

rajpura

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can this sub accept both high level and low levels inputs simultaneously like the rel strata 5? Can you mute either input with the remote?

9. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sub can accept both High Level and Low Level inputs but i don't think they can be used at the same time, that is a Rel thing and they merge both signals together to make one.
    To be honest you are better off haveing 1 setting for Music useing H/L inputs and 1 setting for Movies useing the LFE input.

John