Quad L speakers - stands and finishes

C

_Cal_

Hey everyone.

I'm considering buying a pair of Quad 12L speakers, but I haven't been able to put my eyes on decent pics of the several finishes.

Does any of you have pics of the several finishes of these speakers?

I found here one thread with several nice pics of one of the finishes, I believe it's a special one "yaw" (is it?!), but not the others.

Is there any similarity with some of the Wharfedale Pacific Evolution series (because these ones are easier to find here in Portugal)?

What about speaker stands, what brands and models do you recommend? Prices and origin are also welcome.

Thanks in advance for your help.

There is a pic of my Quad 21L's in Rosewood here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/article.php?a=122

I think the Yew and Rosewood are the best finishes, followed by birds eye maple and black. The standard maple finish is also very popular.

I have the 12L's in black and they look great.

As for stands I have Atacama stands,also black from Hi Fi Corner. The stands were £75 and the sand for the bags inside the stands was free from a building site. Ahem.

I was surprised at the difference the extra weight inside the stands makes to the sound from the spreakers. The sound is cleaner and bass is tighter.

Check out the colours on their website. Click here

As for stands I imagine you'd need a decent pair of stands for the Quad 12L's, consider Atacam Equinox/Apollo A1 or Partington Super Dreadnought stands.

have been round to kazmans and these pictures do not do the quads justice. They are the some of the nicest most beautifully finished speakers i have even seen and sound awesome aswell.

I've come to appreciate the rosewood finish, but I'm afraid it may be a bit too red-ish. Isn't it?

_Cal_ said:
I've come to appreciate the rosewood finish, but I'm afraid it may be a bit too red-ish. Isn't it?

From what I remember the rosewood does not look as bright red as it does in the pictures. More like mahogany to my eyes.

Yes, the flash on the camera was a tad powerful :)

The Rosewood is a very dark finish in the flesh, the lacquer gave a lot of glare with the camera, hence why it looks brighter in the pics.

Thanks for the info Kazman. Those are good news.

Do you happen to know if that's the same color as the Wharfedale Pacific Evolution rosewood (in lacquer finish)?

I would say they they are very similar, with the Quads having a higher quality finish and grain.

Thanks Kaz.

Between the Quads and the Wharfedale, I may have the chance to check out the finish in a local store (here in Lisbon).

I ordered the Marantz SR7400 today. Let's see if I'm lucky and get one of the units still in stock. The price (€633~=£450 w/ delivery) was not as good as I've seen across Europe (£350~€500), but it's the best I can find here (or delivered here) in Portugal. As a reference, the best price in an open door shop was ~37% more!!!

On the other hand, I can buy myself a pair of 12L for just €490 (~£350), so we're even! :)

To add to the existing PS2 and so so Sony CD player, I think I can dig up a pair of speakers from my grandfather old Fisher (spelling?) hi-fi, add a pair of 12L + Lcenter and come up with my first fully-functional multichannel audio hi-fi (or first owned hi-fi for that matter).

If listening to the Quads reveals to be too difficult, I'm even considering taking a leap of faith and go for it. Let's see how the Saturday visit to a local store goes.

Stay tuned, and thanks for the info on the finishes.

Now listening: The sidewinder - Lee Morgan

By the way, can anyone objectively compare the Quads 21L (or 12L) to the Acoustic Energy Evo 3 and/or Wharfedale Pacific Evo 20 (or 30)?

The amplifier in question is the Marantz SR7400, and in case it matters the player will be a Pioneer 575.

I would love for Quad to make the standard Maple finish available, here in the United States. I would definately get another pair of 22L.

Oh well, I guess I'll live with my 22L in Yew.

As to the pics, yep I've seen them. Better yet, I've seen the rosewood finish live in color. It's great.

I have the Rosewood finish, it is yummy :D

I now have the rosewood finish too...

...ok, not just the finish, but the speakers inside too. It's a lovely pair of 12L.

Now I'm thinking of speaker cables. What to get? I wanted something in a dark color or transparent. White or similar makes a tremendous contrast with the oak floor. Dark does too, but at least matches the speakers and the stands.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom