QUAD L-ite

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by MaiaMan, Mar 15, 2006.

1. MaiaMan

MaiaMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had the following system:
    :) Yamaha receiver
    :) B&W 602S2 (main) - 601S2 - LCR60
    :) Monitor audio ASW100 sub

It rocked, except I didn't really like the S2 look so I sold the speakers. Now I'm considering the QUAD L-ite system to replace them. Any opinions?

2. Rod_Bod

Rod_Bod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Just do a Search and you'll find some useful info.

3. MaiaMan

MaiaMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I heard them yesterday... well only a setup with two of the quad l-ite gang in a stereo setup. The rest of the system was still packaged. They sounded much better than the 11L and the 22L which the store also had.
    Now I would like to hear from Quad l-ite owners:clap:

4. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    It is an excellent package.....for films and music. The other bonus is that it comes with a very capable sub :smashin:

Probably the best package i've heard so far under a grand. In fact, it outperformed the B&W sats with PV1, and that's another 50% more!

5. tc08

tc08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did it really? I've heard the PV-1 sub and it seems _really_ capable, I have a bit of a hard time believing that. I ahve listened to L-ite sub but not compared it.

6. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    I seriously beleive that Quad are selling the L-ite satellites too cheaply, that's why they compare well with a set at £1500!

In the UK, the set sells for £1000. A pair af satellites sells for £150, allow £125 for the centre, that prices the sub at £575 - a fair price.

When you compare a pair of satellites to other £150 speakers, they blow the opposition away. They even compare favourably with Quad's own 11L, at twice the price.
    When you look at the build quality and finish, it's unbeleiveable for the price.

A set based on the 11L is nearly £2000. You get a bit more punch from the bigger sub, but not an extra grand's worth. The L-ites are a bargain.

7. MaiaMan

MaiaMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Anyone else got this package?
    :arty:

8. tc08

tc08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have decided to buy the Quad L-ite's, but I don't know what to choosse wheen it comees to an A/V Receiver. Among the many contenders in the price range around 350-500 euros i decided to iigonre H/K, Denon and Yamaha, and narrow iti down to eeither Marantz 4600 (which i can get for 330 euros) andd Onkyo SR-TX603E (which i can get for around 400 euros).

I do have a Quad 306 amplifier, but I'm not sure if i really need it with the L-ite system. The Onkyo does not have pre out so the the 306 would be useless.

Any tips on what to buy is appreciated, especially if you have the L-ites yourself.

9. Ruperts slippers

Ruperts slippers
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,252
    I bought a set of quad lites yesterday with a denon 3806 amp ,i also tested them with a marantz 8500 ,but the sound was a little too laidback for me and my listening tastes.

I would definatly agree the quad sub is excellent ,very smooth and not boomy at all.

Just got to wait till thursday now until my speakers come into the shop .

10. MaiaMan

MaiaMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I went for another audition yesterday. They certainly play very well. I'm just not sure if they can play high volumes without distortion, especially the tweeter. I've arranjed to have them tested at home for 15 days:D , but can only pick them up on the 1st.

11. BobbyX

BobbyX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Also does anyone know where I can get the quad l-ite for a descent price in London I was hopin I could get some for £800 mark. I heard these compared them to the B&W MT20 The quads were better especially with music and the sub was way better in the quad setup compared to B&W MT20. I seriously dont get why what hifi gave the B&W mt20 package speakers of the year award Quad l-ite should have got it without doubt. The B&W system is still very good though.

12. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    I think that the L-ites get marked down by the magazines because of their looks - many reviews complain that they are "boring boxes", not fancy fashion designs. Personally I prefer the timeless lines of a wooden box. Today's fashionable shape is tomorrows kitsch.

Good luck with getting a discount - best I could do was a free pair of stands. It might be worth trying to source the speakers from Europe. A post in another thread about the L-ites said that they were a lot cheaper in some Countries on the Continent.

13. Ruperts slippers

Ruperts slippers
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,252
    I too compared the mt20 and mt 30 to quads ,i think the mt20 sub is poor ,putting the pv1 with the small sats makes a massive differance ,but the sound was too much for my lugs .

The quad sub was what sold the package for me ,as soon as the shop changed the to denon amp from the marantz ,i knew straight away it was the package for me .

As you can tell im very happy .:thumbsup:

14. WSH

WSH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I went to look at the lites today at a Quad dealer. The salesman told me he was finding them hard to drive, needing quite a lot of power. He said the 11L are more difficult to drive than the 12L too which agrees with a previous poster's comments on the forum.

15. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Any links for these euro deals? :)

I looked on idealo.de but found nothing..

16. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    What they need is "clean" power, rather than brute force. I'm driving mine with good quality 50 watt amps, and they go plenty loud enough.

17. PercyP

PercyP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am considering the Quad L-ite package with a Yamaha RX-V2500 amp. Does anyone have any opinion as to how good the speakers will sound with this amp? I am having a demo on Friday, but will cancel if anyone has any bad experiences with this combo.

Cheers, P.

18. tc08

tc08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have found an old Yamaha DSP-AX2 for £350, would that be a good deal and would it be a good match to the L-ite's?

19. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    When I had the L-ites demo'd, the shop was using a Denon 3805, and they sounded excellent. I asked the salesman how well they would work with a lower-powered amp, so we tried them with an Onkyo microsystem - just 2 of the satellites. They still sounded very good, with just a £250, 35 watt receiver.

20. Ruperts slippers

Ruperts slippers
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,252
    Mine arrived in the shop today minus the subwoofer which for some reason was sent to preston instead of huddersfield hifi.

Picked the speakers up tonight and set them up ,excellent quality finish .

Can anybody recommend some decent speakers stands to use for the rears ,they need to be at least a metre high.

Cheers.

21. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Any idea what these would be like with rotel?

22. BobbyX

BobbyX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I cant find the websites for the euros prices anymore for the quad if anyone finds them please make a link.

23. BobbyX

BobbyX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    heard them with yamaha 757se they sounded very good with this amp. Go for the 2600 new yamaha amp not 2500 its the old model now. With the higher amp it should sound that bit better still. They would also sound good with rotel amps a powerful sounding amp makes them really sing the softer sounding amps would still sound good but would loose that british sound. The Rotel, yamaha, audiolab and amps that have similar characterisics would sound best.

24. PercyP

PercyP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    BobbyX, I have a budget of £500 for the amp, and £1000 for speakers. The V2600 is £800, whereas the V2500 can be had for £500.... or am I better off going for the 757SE?

25. BobbyX

BobbyX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Go for the rx1600 its £600 I think twist a dealers arm a bit the only difference between this and rx2600 is the rx2600 has a built in scaler. Its an od one I get the impression that the 757se might be a bit better for audio as the higher models seem to be just adding features Im not sure if the same effort is made for stereo audio on rx2600 & rx1600. These amps main thing is thx select 2 having said that though these amps are bi-amp capable this could boost stereo performance the 757se is not. The 757se is very good in terms of value considering you can easily pick it up for £400 with no haggling from richersounds also to be honest the 757se did sound very good with the quads and seem to have enough power to drive them

26. BobbyX

BobbyX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I might be able to get the quads for the £850 mark from a shop if a couple of us buy them at the same time are you interested i live in london the dealer is in london also you can get the amp for £400 you could get everything for £1250 leaving you enough money for cables or just pocket the saving

27. BobbyX

BobbyX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Also 757se has been recomended by every hifi mag this is a confidence booster a good sign

28. PercyP

PercyP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    BobbyX, I am in Surrey, only 30 mins from London, so would be interested. I have a demo setup of the RX-V2500 with Quad L-ites, B&W M1s and KEF 3005.1 this Friday at Weybridge SevenOaks... I will ask them also to compare the 757SE and 2600 with the Quads. If the Quads sound good, then I will go down that route since they are more pleasing on the eye (especially with the girlfriend). I will also get their best price (they should do a good deal, since I bought my plasma from them) so that I know what the target is to beat.

P.

29. BobbyX

BobbyX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    sevenoaks is a good shop but they wont give any discount I know their shops are so stubborn with pricing it dont matter if you bought your plasma from them as far as they are concerned they are like robots thats the price and thats it attitude. To them its just another sale where they are getting away with charging the max everytime. I would be surprised if they sorted anything out for you let us know buddy.

30. PercyP

PercyP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Will do. I won't be buying on Friday, just trying. Of all the SevenOaks I have been in, they seem like the most keen to "do a deal", but like you said they still have to tow the corporate line, and probably won't do as good a deal as a small operation.

I will let you know. The "group" discount sounds like a great idea. If we can pool a few people together, then we'd be in a really strong position.

P.