quad hd??

bullettneil

Standard Member
Reaction score
what is quad hd? and is it likely to replace the current 1080p tv's soon?
as im looking at upgrading i dont want to buy something that will be out of date in a year

quad hd? never heard of that.
1080p will be the highest resolution we can watch atleast for the next few years.
some japanese manufacturers will be testing out 4K2K resolution soon (4x 1080p resolution) but only at prototype stage i would have thought.
but don't worry, even if the 4K2K ready tv's do come out in 3-5 years time, there is currently no device in the world that can display that resolution.

would that be quad hd? as its 4k? quad=4? as long as its all a good many years away i wont mind. although i probaly cant afford it anyway as i bet it will be big money if it is out soon

quad hd? never heard of that.
1080p will be the highest resolution we can watch atleast for the next few years.
some japanese manufacturers will be testing out 4K2K resolution soon (4x 1080p resolution) but only at prototype stage i would have thought.
but don't worry, even if the 4K2K ready tv's do come out in 3-5 years time, there is currently no device in the world that can display that resolution.

Except for a few projectors that have been out for a few years and some prototype tv's .... what advantage it would give in a normal tv/room environment is gonna be small.

4k res is supposedly about the res of cinema film, so like we have 'master hd' sound that's supposedly the same as the studio masters they'll try and flog us the films with the same idea I'd imagine.

Personally I'm more interested in 3D than 4k, diminishing returns on the resolution front as well as 3D done well adds something to the experience (imagine the matrix done proper in 3D!).

Toshiba has been showing its new range.

Found this article earlier

"Toshiba unveiled its prototype 50-inch Cell Regza 55X1 FullHD LCD TV that features a hard disk drive that can record simultaneously up to eight channels of digital terrestrial broadcasts.

The Cell Regza will debut in Japan during December and in the U.S. sometime next year. It has not been priced as of yet.

It features a chip developed in cooperation with IBM and Sony that has a storage capacity of 3TB, two of which are dedicated to the Cell Regza “time-shift machine” that can do simultaneous recording. There was no word from Toshiba at CEATEC as to whether a U.S. version could record up to eight cable or satellite channels at the same time using a “time-shift button” on the remote control.

The display features a dynamic contrast ratio of 5,000,000:1 and supports “ultra-high-speed recording, enhanced navigation and seamless network interactivity,” the company said.

For instance, Toshiba claimed the Cell platform achieves a processing capability of 143 times more than that of a current top-of-the-line Regza TV.

And the LED backlit control system is divided into 512 distinct areas, each with individually controlled lighting. Luminance is pushed to what Toshiba claimed is an industry high of 2.5 times the level of typical TVs.

As part of its network functionality it supports YouTube with a “high-quality picture” using a browser supporting FullHD based on the Opera browser that it co-developed. Cell Regza supports broadband service and DLNA and displays JPEG digital photographs.

Power consumption is controlled by maintaining optimum imaging brightness. It goes into standby mode automatically if no command is reached by the remote for three hours, among other features.

Toshiba also showed a 3D version of Cell Regza that will offer an interactive 3D GUI, 1,920 by 1,080 HD quality image for display on a 3,840 by 2,160 (4K 2K panel) in 46-inch and 37-inch sizes. No shipment dates or pricing were announced."

You will see it refers to it as a 4k 2k panel towards the end of the article.

I can't find the article i read originally about it but it was suggesting the 50" model would come with a price tag somewhere north of £7k:eek:

would that be quad hd? as its 4k? quad=4? as long as its all a good many years away i wont mind. although i probaly cant afford it anyway as i bet it will be big money if it is out soon

As always, "k" stands for kilo, which means x1000.

So, this quad hd resolution is 2*(1920*1080) = 3840*2160 (approx. 4k*2k)

I was already NOW pointing out in a thread, that the full hd panels in a 42" frame have to small pixels to achieve a stunning brightness / contrast.

With this quad stuff at hand, I couldn't imagine fitting such a panel in a 42" frame at all.

I assume it is with 58" upwards that this resolution would bring benefits.
This will probably not be around in consumer electronics on the long run.

ah,i see.i didnt realise that. if im honest,im new to all this. ive only started to look into it as im spending what i consider alot of money for my small wages.

i didnt even consider how big the screen would have to be to fit this sort of technology in

Personally I'm more interested in 3D than 4k, diminishing returns on the resolution front as well as 3D done well adds something to the experience (imagine the matrix done proper in 3D!).[/QUOTE]

The Matrix in 3d. Jolly good, where do I sign.

"You think that's air you are breathing"?

And:

"There is no spoon"

Cracking stuff, I'd sell my house and live in the garage to get a 3d TV to watch that type of film.
I wonder how long before they become good, mainstream, affordable and BIG!? Any ideas plasma fans?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom